Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can one DFM server send SNMP traps to another DFM server to make it aware of an event?

reide

High-level question:   Using alarms, can one DFM server forward an SNMP trap to another DFM server to make it aware of an event?

I have a customer who has installed DFM in multiple sites around the globe.  They have also installed a single "global" DFM server for reporting purposes.   The customer also uses SMARTS as their Enterprise SNMP monitoring station.

The customer would like to forward SNMP traps from DFM to SMARTS.  However, they would like all forwarded SNMP traps to only come from the "global" DFM server.

So the question is:   In response to an event, can one of the local DFM servers forward an SNMP trap to the global DFM server. Will the global DFM server correctly interpret the forwarded trap, and generate its own event.   Then, using alarms on the global DFM server, forward an SNMP trap to SMARTS.

1 REPLY 1

smoot

I've never heard of anyone trying this. I doubt the second DFM server would pass the event through unmodified so I wouldn't expect this to work very well.

You'd think there'd be a SNMP trap consolidator you could find somewhere. Perhaps something like that could pass traps through, just modifying the addresses?

Public