Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Can you force a protection policy to use a specific SnapVault schedule in Protection Manager?

reide

In TR-3487 SnapVault Best Practices Guide, it outlines how a user could use a host-based script to backup an Oracle database.  The script would put a database into hot backup mode and take an application-consistent snapshot of the database using a snapvault schedule (i.e sv_hourly).  For example:

[first commands to put the database into backup mode]

rsh fas3050-pri snapvault snap create oracle sv_hourly

[end with commands to take the database out of backup mode]

Then, the SnapVault secondary has the same schedule specified with the -x option.  When the secondary initiates the SnapVault transfer, it sees sv_hourly.0 on the primary volume/qtree and uses that snapshot to determine what blocks to transfer to the secondary.

I want to achieve the same thing with a dataset in Protection Manager. I want a database host to coordinate the creation of the primary SnapVault snapshot using a schedule (i.e. sv_hourly.0).  Then, have my PM dataset & policy use that same snapvault schedule to determine what to back-up from the primary.  Doing this avoids the headache of having to "register" the primary snapshot with Protection Manager via an API call.

How can I do this with Protection Manager?   Clearly my protection policy would have to specify no local snapshots on the primary, as it should already exist (sv_hourly.0). I'm just not aware how you make the protection policy aware of an existing snapvault schedule on the primary.

13 REPLIES 13
Public