Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Cannot send email from WFA server -- Any ideas, please?

WCMNETAPP

Hi

I just installed and configured  WFA (version 2.1.0.70.32) on a Windows 2012 VM but on trying to test the email connection (to the corporate Exchange server), I get the message:

Reason: No authentication mechansims supported by both server and client

If I open a "DOS box" on the underlying Windows session, I can send email using "telnet" so the Exchange server has no problem with SMTP connections from the WFA server.

I can't see anywhere in the config dialogs to configure/enable/disable authentication mechanisms so I'm hoping you can shed some light.

Thanks!

Richard Hellier.

PS: The typo above (i.e. "mechansims") is actually what appears in the error dialog!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

Richard,

Perhaps you are hitting the bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27623

Its 2 possible resolution given are https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/No+authentication+mechansims+supported+by+both+server+and+client+when+Configuring+Microsoft+Exchange+S...

WFA uses mail-1.4.4.jar

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sinhaa

This message : No authentication mechansims supported by both server and client thrown due to exception javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException from the SMTP server.

This typo error is not a WFA bug.

The possible reason as I see it is Authentication failure. It could be due to incorrect way of providing username/password. Can you provide the screenshot of the way you have given your username  and the error it throws?

Username field should be given as :

1. username@domain-name.com
  2. or DOMAIN\username

also does your SMTP server only support TLS authentication?

sinhaa

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

WCMNETAPP

Sinhaa,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The mail server (Exchange) is perfectly happy to take "manual" input if I open a telnet session onto port 25 so there is no authorisation being requested. I get the same message whether or not I enter a username and password (and if I do, whichever of the formats you suggested I use).

Regards,

Richard.

I get

sinhaa

Richard,

Perhaps you are hitting the bug https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27623

Its 2 possible resolution given are https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/No+authentication+mechansims+supported+by+both+server+and+client+when+Configuring+Microsoft+Exchange+S...

WFA uses mail-1.4.4.jar

WCMNETAPP

Sinhaa,

Many thanks for the helpful answer. In the end, I decided to enter a username/password to authenticate the SMTP connection so I now have that part working.

From a UI standpoint, though, it would be nice to have a checkbox saying " do / do not use authentication" (and, further, to only show the entry boxes for u + p if selected).

Anyway, thanks once again.

sinhaa

Glad it worked for you. You feedback for UI improvement is taken and we shall try to address it in the near future.

Thanks for using WFA communities.

AndrewBriscoe

Just further to this solution, we too had the same problem and resolved it with a Java mail downgrade as follows:

Download the .jar file here: http://www.java2s.com/Code/JarDownload/mail/mail-1.4.1.jar.zip

Then, on the WFA server stop the WFA services 

• NetApp WFA Database
  • NetApp WFA Server

Then backup the file 

C:\Program Files\NetApp\WFA\jboss\modules\javax\mail\api\main\backup\mail-1.4.4.jar

Replace this file with the file mail-1.4.1.jar  from the downloaded zip file above

mail-1.4.1.jar

Rename this file to the original filename mail-1.4.4.jar  to ensure WFA picks it up

mail-1.4.1.jar => mail-1.4.4.jar

Restart the services

• NetApp WFA Database
  • NetApp WFA Server

After this, we were able to utilise mail notifications correctly. 

Bit of a hack, but none of the other methods had worked for us. 

AB

mteeuwen

Please disregard this post, the issue I was describing seems to have been solved in 3.1P2.

Kind regards,

Marco

Vikramjeet_Singh

Hey guys,

Can anyone help me with how to send the email notification whenver we start exection/fail of a workflow. 

Thanks

sinhaa

@Vikramjeet_Singh

This is a different query than the original post in topic. If you create a new topic which is more relavent to your query then helps a wider audience to find more accurate results.

1. First you need to login to WFA as Admin and  enable Mail notifications on your WFA server.

WFA -> Administration -> WFA Configuration -> 'Mail' tab.

Provide your SMTP server 

Sender Email ID will be set during installation of WFA. You can change it if you have to. Some SMTP are configurd for Authentication access, you have to provide credentials of the Sender email in the Username/passwd

2. WFA has self-sending email notifications for workflow executions states. It means that notifications by email are only sent to the user who executed the workflow.

3. So now every user who wants to receive email notifications needs to login and go to Administration -> Accout Settings and enable the notifications

4, Or alternately the Admin can do it for all users.

Usr01.png

sinhaa

Public