Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Custom Thresholds for "Inodes Almost Full" DFM Alerts

ryanstather

I am currently using DFM/Operations Manager and have recently configured alerts for "Inodes almost Full".   I would like to set custom thresholds which I was able to do with "Volume Almost Full" & "Volume Full" notifications but it seems I am unable to set custom thresholds for this new inode alert.  I checked under "Setup" --> "Options" --> "Default Thresholds" but again there are no setting relateds to this alert.  In fact it doesn't even clearly state what the default threshold for this alert would be although I'm assuming it would be something like 80% for "Inodes Almost Full" and 90% for "Inodes Full".  If anyone is aware of a way to set custom thresholds for these alerts or even provide the actual defaults it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Ryan,

The inode events use the custom thresholds of volume full and volume nearly full.

There is no separate thresholds for the inodes

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

adaikkap

Hi Ryan,

The inode events use the custom thresholds of volume full and volume nearly full.

There is no separate thresholds for the inodes

Regards

adai

ryanstather

Thank you very much for the prompt response!

satheesh1

Hi Adai,

Volume 90 % full doesn't necessary mean that inodes are also full. Volume can be 40% utilized and you can end up with inodes maxed out (If the volume contains small files , inodes will be completely used even though volume is not full).

The best way to monitor is, set a limit on the number of files used on volume/qtree & monitor it through dfm. dfm has a event type for File limit. you can use vol status -b to determine the number of inodes that volume can have & set a limit on the files used.

Thx, Satheesh

adaikkap

Hi SMC,

You are correct. But what the question and answers about how/ which is the custom threshold value for inode related events.

Yes, vol 90% full is not necessarily inode full. To generate an inode full or nearly full event the value set for vol full and nearly full is used.

Say for example by default vol full is 90% and nearly full is 80%. Inode full or nearly full event is generated when 80 % or 90% of the available inode in the volume

are consumed. It has nothing to do with the fullness of the volume. Even if the volume is 10% full and you have exhausted 80% of the inode since there were small

Small files in that 10% full volume you still get the event inode nearly full. Hope you are clear how it works.

Regards

adai

Public