Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM 4.0 - Aggregate selection not possible when provisioning new vFiler

mrettl

Hi!

When I create a new vFiler in Prov.Mgr. 4.0 using Ressource Pools, DFM will create the root volume for the vFile "somewhere" in any of the aggregates on the ressouce pool.

First I have tried to create a ressource pool with appropriate aggregates only (no Storage Systems in the pool, just aggregates). When I try to create the vFiler (Hosts > vFiler Units > Add), I get the error "There are no storage systems in the ressource pool". Ok.

Then I added a Storage System and ONE specific aggregate (a specific Tier-Level). But when I create a vFiler, DFM uses any of the aggregates of the storage system, not only the one in the spec. Ressouce Pool.

IMHO the selection of a "Label" is missing in the vFiler Add wizard to select a specific Tier for the vFiler root volume.

Same happens when a vFiler is migrated. The Provisioning Policy for the Dataset is used for the DATA Volumes of the vFiler, but not for the root volume!

Any ideas?

kr,

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

arndt

I opened RFE 324997 for this exact feature in Nov 2008. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

smoot

Hi Mattias --

I haven't actually worked on this code, but I think you need to add the entire storage system to the resource pool, not the individual aggregates.  I suspect we've got some picky logic that thinks because you haven't added the storage system, we can't use it's resources (and a vfiler slot is a controller resource, not an aggregate resource).

Try removing the aggrs and adding the controller and see if that works.

-- Pete

mrettl

Yes, it works, as mentioned in my post.

But then the root-volume of the new vFiler is created in ANY aggregate of the storage system.

It is NOT possible to define, which aggregate should be used for the vFiler root volume.

smoot

Sorry, my bad, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

If the vfiler create workflow doesn't allow specifying a tag (or picking the aggregate), that's a missing feature.  Please contact NGS or your sales contact and submit an enhancement request.  These requsts have more weight if they come in through external channels.

-- Pete

mrettl

Thank you, pete.

The problem is, I am a SE (in Pre-Sales) and will not get any support from anyone without customer-data. I can not open a NGS ticket, because I do not have a filer S/N or SO-number. My mails to the dl-gsc-dfm were rejected because they do reply to customers problems only, not to SE problems.

I have to wait until a customer runs into this problem.

regards,

Matthias

arndt

I opened RFE 324997 for this exact feature in Nov 2008. 

mrettl

Mike, as long as the BURT/RFE prio is at 4 or 5, this will not be solved at all, it is just for documentation purposes.

arndt

By definition, RFE's are priority 5.

shailaja

Agreed that this is an issue. There have been enhancement requests for both picking aggregates directly for the root volume and also to have label support for root volume during vFiler provisioning, do take a look at enhancement requests in this area i.e 388787 and 324997.

Thanks,

Shailaja

mrettl

Open/Unreplied since 2008.

I will watch them closely 🙂

adaikkap

There is already a  RFE to specify the aggregate for the  root volume of a vfiler.

Today this functionality is not available.

Talk to your NetApp contact and add your case to bug324997.

Regards

adai

Public