Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM 4.0 Backup Question

dcornely1

I'm aware that there are 2 backup options for the DFM server itself - archive & snapshot.

What I'm after are the details regarding the snapshot backups.  Specifically, how is:

1) Performance Advisor data collection stopped

2) The DFM database (Sybase) quiesced

3) The DFM database unquiesced

4) Performance Advisor data colleciton restarted

Per this KB article: https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb57288

the above are the 4 things a snapshot backup does.  So, in lieu of Snapdrive how could I do the above at the command line (perhaps via a script)?

Thanks.

-Dave

3 REPLIES 3

adaikkap
1) Performance Advisor data collection stopped

Run these two api to stop collecting PA data.

perf-disable-object-update

perf-disable-data-collection

2) The DFM database (Sybase) quiesced

3) The DFM database unquiesced

Should refer the sybase guide or documentation.

4) Performance Advisor data colleciton restarted

perf-enable-object-update and
perf-enable-data-collection
But will you be able to still take a consistend snapshot with out snapdrive ?
Regards
adai

rle
NetApp Alumni

SnapDrive for Windows does not quiesce NTFS, it simply flushes the buffers and calls ZAPI to create a snapshot.  SnapDrive for Unix quiesces files system objects.

Also after some internal discussion, KB 57288 will be modified to:

In DFM 3.8 and higher when the following requirements are met the DFM backups can be moved to a snapshot model.

Requirements:

- the DFM database and performance data files reside on a LUN on a NetApp filer

- SnapDrive (purchased) is installed on the DFM server and is configured to communicate to the filer

- "dfm backup diag" is run on the DFM server and changes the backup type to ".sndb"

DFM snapshot backups proceed as follows when the above requirements are met:

1. Performance Advisor data collection is stopped

2. SnapDrive quiesces the host file system

3. DFM signals SnapDrive to take a snapshot of storage that contains the DFM data files resulting in a crash consistent backup

4. Performance Advisor data collection is restarted

Regards,

- Rick -

dcornely1

Rick & Adai,

Thanks a lot for your replies.  Rick, based on your answer my impression is that KB 57288 was incorrect when it originally stated it quiesced Sybase and that really all that Snapdrive facilitated was the stopping of Performance Advisor data collection and sync'ing the filesystem.  Since I can do both these without SnapDrive easily (and the filesystem piece really isn't necessary anymore) I can forgo SnapDrive altogether.  Thanks all!

-Dave

Public