Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM 4.0 - Hot to add newly created Aggregates to an existing ressource pool?

mrettl

Hi!

When I try to edit an existing ressource pool (Data > Ressource Pools > Edit) to add a newly created Aggregate to the pool, I can not "see" the new Aggregates in the "Available physical ressources" section when the storage system containing the new aggregate was already in the pool. The only workaround is to remove ALL physical ressources from the pool, Save, Edit again and then add all previously added components plus the new aggregates.

Is this by design or a bug?

kr,

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shailaja

Its an unfortunate bug, that labels cannot be assigned to indirect members i.e aggregates of the storage system added to the resource pool in UI.

Do take a look at burt364912 which is to track it. Check it out and add more details if required.

You can however assign labels using CLI:

prompt> dfpm respool member set <resourcepool> <indirect_member_i.e_aggr_of_filer> label=Tier2

prompt> dfpm respool list -iml pool
ID   Member Name               Resource Pool Name     Member Type Label          
---- ------------------------- ---------------------- ----------- ---------------
 346 somefiler.lab.eng.btc.netapp.in pool                   Filer    
 461 somefiler:aggr0              pool                   Aggregate   tier1
463 somefiler:naggr              pool                   Aggregate   tier2     

Thanks,

Shailaja

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rranga

Is the aggregate discovered when you tried to add it? Only after

discovery you should be able to add it.

Reason: The aggregate will get added in the next discovery cycle of DFM

and not at the same moment that it got added in the filer.

• Ranganath

mrettl

Sure, it is dicovered before I have tried to add it. Otherwise it would not have been possible to add it after removing all other ressources.

Matthias

smoot

Hi Matthias --

Looks like you're way ahead of my last post :-).

If you add the storage system to a resource pool, all its contained aggregates are implicitly added.  There is no need to add both and there are some really confusing corner cases that arise if we allowed it.  We had a long, long conversation internally about this and decided it should be an either-or proposition.

-- Pete

mrettl

But if I do not aggregates explicitly, I can not assign "Labels" to the aggregates.

Lets say a customer has a MetroCluster (yes, in Europe we have TONS of them) with

a) local_syncmirrored aggregates with FC disks ("Tier-1")

b) local_syncmirrored aggregates with SATA disks ("Tier-2")

c) unmirrored SATA disks ("Tier-3")

I have to deal with "Labels" in DFM if I want to use DFM to manage my "tiered-storage strategy", right?

So, how can I assign aggregate labels without adding them to a ressource-pool?

regards,

Matthias

shailaja

Its an unfortunate bug, that labels cannot be assigned to indirect members i.e aggregates of the storage system added to the resource pool in UI.

Do take a look at burt364912 which is to track it. Check it out and add more details if required.

You can however assign labels using CLI:

prompt> dfpm respool member set <resourcepool> <indirect_member_i.e_aggr_of_filer> label=Tier2

prompt> dfpm respool list -iml pool
ID   Member Name               Resource Pool Name     Member Type Label          
---- ------------------------- ---------------------- ----------- ---------------
 346 somefiler.lab.eng.btc.netapp.in pool                   Filer    
 461 somefiler:aggr0              pool                   Aggregate   tier1
463 somefiler:naggr              pool                   Aggregate   tier2     

Thanks,

Shailaja

mrettl

Thank you, Shailaja!

Unfortunately the BURT prio is 4B which means "solved if there is nothing else to do"... and the BURT is from 06/2009.

Regards,

Matthias

Public