Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM Options Questions

jpierson

My customer is undergoing an audit and recently dumped all their DFM options. We've been asked for additional detail on several of them. First question I have is, is there a centralized place that has a definitive list of all DFM options (dfm option list) along w/ default values and definitions?

Specific options I'm looking for some more detail on include:

autosupportAdminContact: Would this show-up in as from address in an e-mail or something else?

backupRetentionCount: Assume this is number of backups retained when using "dfm backup" command?

discoverAgents: OSSV agents or other?

dsConformanceMonInterval:

dsDRMonInterval:

dsProtectionMonInterval:

perfAdvisorPollInterval:Description says Interval at which storage systems are polled for changes in instance list. What's "instance list" mean? Is thisjust the default interval PA uses for ALL counters it pulls from a filer?

pmQSMBackupPreferred: Looks like Protection Manager setting to prioritize SM over SV or vice versa? Does anyone have some additional contact they could provide?

qtreeAutoDiscovery: If this isn't set does that mean trees created outside of DFM aren't imported?

respoolFullThreshold

respoolNearlyFullThreshold

respoolSpaceMonInterval

Also looks like monVerbose/monVerboseModule aren't returned by the "dfm option list" command unless set? To my original question is there a central location these are all defined.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

7 REPLIES 7

columbus_admin

Hi,

If you are the jpierson I think you are, I left your customer this summer...I can't speak to all the options you have questions on but

backupRetentionCount is indeed the dfm backup retentions kept.  At my new place, I have 5 backups of the DFM database before I have to go to tape and this is where it is set.

As we are on version 4 here, I don't even see some of the options you need, still on 3.8?

- Scott

jpierson

Hey Scott,

Yep, I'm the jpierson you're thinking of. Thanks for the info. And yep, customer is still 3.7.1w/ a D patch.

Thanks,

Jason

smoot
dsConformanceMonInterval:

dsDRMonInterval:

dsProtectionMonInterval:

pmQSMBackupPreferred: Looks like Protection Manager setting to prioritize SM over SV or vice versa? Does anyone have some additional contact they could provide?
respoolFullThreshold

respoolNearlyFullThreshold

respoolSpaceMonInterval

dsConformanceMonInterval  controls how often the DFM server checks  datasets to see whether the  conform to their protection and provisioning  policies.

dsDRMonitorInterval and dsProtectionMonInterval  control  how often the DR failover status and general protection status  are  re-computed and updated.

pmQSMBackupPreferred  indeed is a  tie breaker when either Qtree SnapMirror or SnapVault are  acceptable  ways to implement a Backup connection in ProtMgr.

respoolFullThreshold   and respoolNearlyFullThreshold control the amount of free space must  be  available in a resource pool before Provisioning Manager generates  an  event on the resource pool (just like how the full thresholds work  for  aggregates and volumes).

Finally,  respoolSpaceMonInterval controls how often the DFM server  checks the  available space in resource pools to generate the above  events.

derekb

I believe that most, if not all, of these options are documented in the dfm command manual page.

derekb

"pmQSMBackupPreferred  indeed is a  tie breaker when either Qtree SnapMirror or SnapVault are  acceptable  ways to implement a Backup connection in ProtMgr"

Yes, the pmQSMBackupPreferred option defines the preferred method for Protection Manager to preform remote backups. However be aware that there are other factors, including which licenses are installed on the source and destination storage systems, and how frequently backups are to be performed, that actually determine which method is used. In DFM 4.0 the default value is true, which means that all things being equal, Protection Manager will prefer to use Qtree SnapMirror.

adaikkap

Hi,

I would have to contradict you,

Firstly the option is set to no by default, starting 3.8 before that it was yes.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/DFM_win/rel38/html/faq/index.shtml#_16.1

also the constraints on the schedule is removed.

All the options are documented in the man pages.

Regards

adai

jpierson

Wanted to thank everyone for their help. Relative new DFM user and was looking at the downloadable documentation for the info rather than the man pages (didn't know there were man pages). Appreciate the additional detail on pmQSMBackupPreferred as well.

Thanks,

Jason

Public