Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM Server service not stopping (manually or 4.0.2 upgrade)

sswain123

Hi Guys,

I’m looking to upgrade my (linux) DFM instances from 4.0D24 to 4.0.2.  During the install the services are to be stopped before the upgrade begins…. This is where my install craps out (see below).  I’ve tried manually stopping the services, ‘dfm service stop –k’ but, I can’t seem to get the ‘server’ service to stop.

Beginning the installation ...

Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]

Stopping DataFabric Manager server services.

Service: watchdog stopped.

Error: Service server did not stop within 90 seconds.

Error: could not stop service: server.

Service: scheduler stopped.

Service: monitor stopped.

Service: eventd stopped.

Service: http stopped.

SQL Anywhere Stop Server Utility Version 10.0.1.3960

Service: sql stopped.

Error: Failed to stop one or more services. Stop the services manually using 'dfm service stop' and then re-run the installer.

error: %pre(NTAPdfm-4.0-7803.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping NTAPdfm-4.0-7803

Not being a linux guy, I’m not sure what I can do here…. Is it possible to run a kill-9?

Thanks,
Scott

3 REPLIES 3

smoot

I don't know why the server service didn't stop by itself, but yes, you could try just killing the process. I'd be nervous the server was in the middle of something like a backup or protection operation.

Is the CPU especially busy at the time ("top" is your friend here)?

You could also temporarily disable Performance Advisor to reduce the load:

$ dfm option set perfAdvisorEnabled=no

$ ...wait two minutes...

$ dfm service stop

-- Pete

sswain123

Hi Pete,

I was chatting with Adai through email... he suggested running:

ps –eaf | grep –i dfm.

Kill -9 the process id of all dfm services.

That should stop them good 🙂

Scott

bipulm

Hello Scott,

If you are facing error like “Error: Service server did not stop within 90 seconds”, then it might be like server is in the middle of doing something. So it is safe to follow Pete’s suggestion

like stop the performance advisor by the command “dfm option set perfAdvisorEnabled=no”, then wait for a  while and stop the server by execute the command “ dfm service stop server”.

See whether it stop the server. If it is not still stopping the server then go for execute the kill command. But kill only server process not other dfm process. I mean to say you can kill the server process

and then execute the command “dfm service stop”. Why I am saying this because killing all the process by kill command is not advisable. That might not clean all the resources it uses.

So it is advisable to kill the server process and do execute “dfm service stop”. Execute the following command to find out the server process id

$ ps -ef | grep -i dfmserver)

Thanks,

Bipul

Public