Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

DFM and SNMP

dhebert

Hi all,

I am trying to understand some more details about how SNMP and DFM work.  Here are my questions:

1. I know the filer sends SNMP traps, and you can specify multiple trap servers to receive them.  Should the DFM Server be a trap server for the filers it is managing?

2. I see that DFM has its own MIBs file.  Are those MIBs unique from the ONTAP MIBs?

3. Finally, in a large data center environment managed by a tool like HPOM or Tivoli, what does DFM do with SNMP traps?  Does it pass through SNMP traps from the filers?  Does it send only its own SNMP traps? Does it send SNMP traps at all?

I've attached a simple drawing to help illustrate my confusion.

5 REPLIES 5

tanmoy

Hello Daniel,

I have answers for two of your queries.

1. I know the filer sends SNMP traps, and you can specify multiple trap servers to receive them.  Should the DFM Server be a trap server for the filers it is managing?

Tanmoy : Yes you need to set the DFM server as your trap server. You have to set it in filer.

3. Finally, in a large data center environment managed by a tool like HPOM or Tivoli, what does DFM do with SNMP traps?  Does it pass through SNMP traps from the filers?  Does it send only its own SNMP traps? Does it send SNMP traps at all?

Tanmoy : DFM receives traps from filers and process those and present those to DFM users as events. For example, autosize and autodelete; if these are triggered in filer; ONTAP will send traps to trap server which should be DFM in your case. DFM will show those autosize and autodelete as events.

I will leave the MIB question for the other experts to respond to.

Thanks

Tanmoy

rle
NetApp Alumni

1. I know the filer sends SNMP traps, and you can specify multiple  trap servers to receive them.  Should the DFM Server be a trap server  for the filers it is managing?

Yes the DFM server should be a trap service for the filers.

2. I see that DFM has its own MIBs file.  Are those MIBs unique from the ONTAP MIBs?

DFM MIBs are unique from ONTAP MIBs.

3.  Finally, in a large data center environment managed by a tool like HPOM  or Tivoli, what does DFM do with SNMP traps?  Does it pass through SNMP  traps from the filers?  Does it send only its own SNMP traps? Does it  send SNMP traps at all?

As Tamoy stated DFM has events which can be alarmed.  Once an event is alarmed an e-mail can be sent, a script can be run, or an SNMP trap can be sent to another trap server.

Regards,

- Rick -

hiyer

It's not required that DFM be a trap receiver for the filer. DFM monitoring will mostly work without it. There are a few extra features available if it is configured as a trap server. Of the top of my head I can recall:

• alerts if the 'maxdirsize' for a file system is about to be exceeded
  • automatic triggering of monitors when certain traps are received (e.g. broken disk)

lovik_netapp

If DFM doesn't receives trap then it will take it's own good time and will not discover the issue unless the next monitoring interval, whereas if you configure the filer to send traps it will start the scan of that subsystem of filer immediately and will send it's own trap as per the alarm configuration.

demond_nc

Rick, have you actually gotten this to work?  I am trying to get DFM to send SNMP traps to HP Network Node Manager. Unfortunately I am not having much success:)  I have added a traphost as a recipient in a DFM alarm, however Network Node Manager is not receiving the traps.  The format I used for adding the traphost is community_string@traphost_IP.  Is this correct?

Public