Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Disk Quota warning mail alerts doesn't work

ZEPHYRUSX

Hi all,

in DFM i am trying to enable mail alerts whenever a Disk Quota become full or near to became full.

I have edited the alarms page setting severity and Email recipient but nothing occurs. No mails are sent to anyone.

could you help me?

thank you in advance.

Massimiliano

8 REPLIES 8

agireesh

Hi,

Please check the below things.

1. Check the event is generated when disk quota become full or nearly. You can see the event in output of “dfm report view events-history” command.

2. Make sure that SMTP server name is set properly. Use “dfm option list SMTPServerName” command to check the SMTP server name, if SMTP server is set make sure that SMTP server is pinging, if SMTP server name is not set then use “dfm option set SMTPServerName=<SMTP-server-name>” command to set the SMTP server name.

3. Check the alert.log for more details. Alert.log contains information about the alarm sent to recipient.

Please let me know if you need any other help.

Regards,

Gireesh

sinhaa

Hello Massimiliano,

We can start with the simplest debugging but doing the alarm test for this particular alarm.Use the UI or the CLI command

dfm alarm test <alarm-id>

. See if a test mail is received to all the recipients.

Secondly,

Alarms are generated against DFM events. Are you able to see the dfm events for the Disk Quota full or near full?

Depending on these result we can narrow down some possibilities.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ZEPHYRUSX

Thank you everyone for the help, i have tried with mail test and i can see in DFMevent.log file this error:

g 17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: alarm 4, event 4848: failed to deliver email alert to myusername@mycompany.com,myusername@mycompany.com. took 0 seconds.

Aug 17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: Alarm 4, event 4848: Can't send pager alert to WINNTDOM\myusername, no pager address specified

seem the problem could be in the mail sending...?

agireesh

Hi Massimiliano,

Did you check content of alert.log file at Log directory. This file will be created when alarm has sent to receipt successfully. Also please check the output of “dfm option list SMTPServerName” command. If possible could you please send me output of “dfm alarm list” command.

Once alarm has sent, alert.log capture that info as below:

Aug 18 04:14:56 [dfmeventd: INFO]: [26183:0x41967940]: alarm 2, event 2035, Alarm Test on lnx186-78: sending email alert to agireesh@netapp.com. took 3 seconds.

Regards,

Gireesh

ZEPHYRUSX

Hi Agireesh,

i haven't found any alert.log file at Log directory, but only after sending test command that one with the error messages:

Aug 17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: alarm 4, event 4848: failed to deliver email alert to myusername@mycompany.com,myusername@mycompany.com. took 0 seconds.

Aug 17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: Alarm 4, event 4848: Can't send pager alert to WINNTDOM\myusername, no pager address specified

The ServerName is correct, infact is printed the mail server of my company that i set previously throught web interface.

The dfm alarm list output is this one:

C:\dfmscout>dfm alarm list

Alarm                2

Group                Global

Event Severity       All

Event Name           All

Email Recipients     WINNTDOM\user2

Email Addresses      user2@myco.com

Page Recipients      WINNTDOM\user2

Alarm                3

Event Severity       All

Event Name           All

Email Recipients     WINNTDOM\user1

Email Addresses      user1@myco.com

Alarm                4

Event Severity       All

Event Name           All

Email Recipients     WINNTDOM\user3

Email Addresses      user3@myco.com

Page Recipients      WINNTDOM\user3

Alarm                6

Event Severity       Critical or Worse

Event Name           All

Alarm                7

Event Severity       All

Event Name           All

Email Addresses      user3@myco.com

agireesh

Hi Massimiliano,

After looking at error message of your dfmevent.log file, I can understand that you set the wrong SMTP server.

Aug 17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: alarm 4, event 4848: failed to deliver email alert to myusername@mycompany.com,myusername@mycompany.com. took 0 seconds.

[dfmevent.log  file show the above error because you did not set the correct smtp server]

[WINNTDOM\myusername admin user is not associated with any pager address due that dfmevent.log file show the above error message]

You can resolve the second error by setting the admin user pager address. Please use the "dfm user modify" command or operation manager GUI to set the administrator user pager address.

I am also getting same error in my dfmevent.log file after setting wrong SMTP server name.

Aug 18 13:42:05 [dfmeventd:ERROR]: [26183:0x41967940]: alarm 1, event 2106: failed to deliver email alert to agireesh@netapp.com. took 0 seconds.

Aug 18 13:42:05 [dfmeventd:ERROR]: [26183:0x41967940]: Alarm 1, event 2106: Can't send pager alert to root, no pager address specified

sinhaa

@

seem the problem could be in the mail sending...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your post you didn't mention whether you received the test mail or not, but I can assume you didn't with the above statement.

Also the failure

17 18:37:32 [DFMEvent:ERROR]: alarm 4, event 4848: failed to deliver email alert to myusername@mycompany.com,myusername@mycompany.com. took 0 seconds.

. This shows it failed immediately (0 seconds). So lets look at the possibilities.

a. Is your SMTPServerPort set to 25? See this using the command dfm option list SMTPServerPort

@

The ServerName is correct, infact is printed the mail server of my company that i set previously throught web interface.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b. You already mentioned your SMTPServerName is set correct. Can you try to ping this using the FQDN. If possible set this value to the IP Address instead.

c. Try the below Test VB script to send email from your DFM server. Replace the To, From and SMTP server( smtp.xyz.com in the e.g. code) names accrodingly. See if you are succesfully able to send mails from your dfm server using SMTP server's FQDN and IP address.

Save it as .vbs file and execute it (double click).

-----------------------------------------------------

Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

objEmail.From = "from@abc.com"

objEmail.To = "to@def.com"

objEmail.Subject = "Test Mail"

objEmail.Textbody = "This is a test mail."

objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item _

("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2

("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = _

"smtp.xyz.com"

("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25

objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update

objEmail.Send

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ZEPHYRUSX

Thank you every one, everything was set correctly however the script execution failed too, looking for the error message i understood that the problem was the Antivirus that was blocking the mail sending.

Now i have corrected the problem, everything is working fine.

Max

Public