Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

FAS3160 add DS14mk4 disk shelf

LIUXUAN55

Now I have a question about how to add a DS14mk4 in existing loop in the FAS3160 storage system.

My now topology is like this.

between NAS02A and NAS02B made the metiocluster.

Now i bought 6 DS14mk4 disk shelf want to add this in this NAS systems.My hope topology is below:

My question is ,is there have some problem about my hope topology?

and how is the step about adding shelf by online hot-adding  or offline adding?

Can I add the 6 shelf at the same time when I made a offline adding?

And I am also thinking about if I use the offline to adding shelf in FAS3106,the machine have run in more than 700days that doesn't do any shutdown or restart ,If I turn off the FAS3160 ,what will happened? I heart about sometimes if  turn off the controller,It will not turn on normally,and what happened will I  meet.

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

aborzenkov

Supported limit is 6 shelves per loop. So unless you have explicit confirmation from NetApp, this configuration will be unsupported.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

LIUXUAN55

I forgot a description  that is now my disk is FC 450G disk.And my bought new  is FC 600G disk,can I mix both size of disk in a same loop?

aborzenkov

Yes, you can.

LIUXUAN55

Hi aborzenkov.

Thank you very much!

And do you know how to add a shelf offline?

I think maybe liks this:

1.turn off any I/O

2.Power off my storage head on both node

3.turn on my new shelf (If I want add more than 1 shelf one time,Then I  link the new shelf together first)

4.link the cable to the loop

5.turn on my storage head

Is this right?

aborzenkov

Yes, you are right.

You can also add new shelf online, without downtime. Documentation on support site has step by step instructions how to do it.

aborzenkov

Supported limit is 6 shelves per loop. So unless you have explicit confirmation from NetApp, this configuration will be unsupported.

LIUXUAN55

Hi aborzenkov.

Thanks a lot.

Do you know which document show that each loop limits is 6? I can't read this limit before.

aborzenkov

You can find configuration limits in System Configuration Guides on support site.

Public