Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

FAS3250 first time connection

noelnatalie

I have a new FAS3250 that I have racked and powered on.  According to the documentation I found on the NOW site I need to connect to the cluster management port using SSH to begin configuration.  I have a laptop that has a connected network card to 10.10.10.x, I used 5.  The network cable is connected to port e0a on the back on the controller.  Using putty I have tried to connect to 10.10.10.10 which is provided in the Factory Configured Cluster Extended Setup Guide.  I cannot get a connection to go through.  The error I receive is the connection timed out.  Can anyone tell me what I need to get to get in to start my configuration?

Natalie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gregb

Hi Natalie,

First of all, are you certain this is a factory configured cluster? If it is, then it would have been delivered in a NetApp cabinet with the Factory Configured Cluster Express Guide taped to the cabinet.

If it is not a factory configured cluster, then you should be looking at the Data ONTAP Software Setup Guide for the version of Data ONTAP software ordered with the system.

Regards,

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

gregb

Hi Natalie,

First of all, are you certain this is a factory configured cluster? If it is, then it would have been delivered in a NetApp cabinet with the Factory Configured Cluster Express Guide taped to the cabinet.

If it is not a factory configured cluster, then you should be looking at the Data ONTAP Software Setup Guide for the version of Data ONTAP software ordered with the system.

Regards,

-Greg

noelnatalie

Thank you.  The setup guide was helpful but now my second controller is in a reboot loop.  I ran setup on one controller and then when I went to run it on the second controller, it is in a reboot loop.  On ontap version is 8.1.2 7-mode.  My operations manager is showing the original controller name as dead and hasn't picked up with new hostname I gave the first controller.  That's why I thought I was in a cluster.  It looks to me like the two controllers think they are one.  Do you or anyone else have any idea what I should do to stop the reboot loop.  I pressed Ctrl-C and it gives me 8 choices.  1.  Normal Boot   2.  Boot without /et/rc   3.  Change password   4.  Clean configuration and initialize all disks.   5.  Maintenance Mode boot.   6.  Update flash from backup configuration.   7.  Install new software first.    8.  Reboot node.

gregb

This is usually the point I call tech support. There are several possible causes, and the support folks are much better at troubleshooting them than I am.

It might help to verify the disk shelf IDs (no duplicates) and the disk shelf cabling. Assuming you are using SAS cabling, the Universal SAS and ACP Cabling Guide on the NetApp Support Site is the guide to use.

-Greg

aborzenkov

Please show full console log between two reboots.

Public