Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Feedback on NetApp System Manager 2.0R1

amritad

Hi,

Our team is very interested in the questions posted on System Manager functionality and your experience with System Manager.  Thanks for taking the time to share. Please  keep the questions and feedback on your experience working with System Manager coming.

Regards

The System Manager Team

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amritad

Thanks for the feedback.

For the performance issue we have incorporated some fixes in 2.1. Please do try it out and let us know.

Regards

Amrita

View solution in original post

106 REPLIES 106

igor

Hello,

I've noticed that there aren't (m)any LUN clone configuration options. When cloning is initiated, the clone will inherit space reservation from the parant and - that's it. Doesn't allow me to choose which snapshot, doesn't ask whether I want a thin clone or not... What if my LUN is thick, and I want a thin clone based on an old snapshot? The CLI command is pretty simple:

lun clone create /vol/<volume>/<clone_LUN> -o noreserve -b /vol/<volume>/<parent_LUN> <snapshot>

Perhaps you can extend the cloning wizard to include these options?

lsaki_apple

Hello:

We are evaluating 2.0R1 on Linux. I had a question so once we have installed this on server and say we access it from VNC is it possible that different admins in our group can setup their own VNC server and launch system manager in their session or this just works only on single session/launch?

Sharing the same VNC server display won't work either if two people are accessing it same time. Trying to find out best way for multiple people access on common server..

Thanks

karthikv

In this version we support only local webserver with single instance of the application running at a time. so if you have installed SM on a linux machine, you will be able to run only one instance of it at a time.

lsaki_apple

Okay got it. So if we install on one more instance on another linux machine, can multiple edits from two servers supported/workable or not recommended? Also any ETA for multi web access version?

Looks promising in brief testing!

Thanks

karthikv

Multiple edits from two different System Manager instances on different Linux machines is possible. Only thing is if there is race condition in case of simulaaneous edits, the edit that is done the last will be reflected.

If it is made sure that multiple people are not working on the same object at the same time, it is possible to manage the same controller from different locations.

The use case behind designign the current version of System Manager was that a single storage administrator will be managing the controllers.

Multi web access is planned for future releases.

txskibum2000

Attempting to resize a snapmirrored destination volume with return a “Successful” notification, but in fact the mirror was not broken, nor was the “vol options (destination volume name) fs_size_fixed off” command issued. Bug!

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify me immediately by return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer.

txskibum2000

Cannot see nfts qtrees, only unix.

macmillangm

I dont see any qtrees in 2.0R1 but they DO show in filerview. However if it is created in SM 2.0R1 then that one does show in both SM and FV.

karthikv

All the qtrees should be displayed in SM2.0R1 Qtrees windows no matter whether they are created using System Manager or Filerview

I just created 2 qtrees on a 7.3.3 system using FilerView and was able to view it instantly on System Manager window

Please send us the following details to look into the issue further

Controller Version

OS Version

Browser Version

Support Bundle with log level set to trace

Setting log level:

Tools -> Options -> Log level

Generating Support Bundle

Help -> Support Bundle -> Generate support bundle link

Thanks,

Karthik

txskibum2000

Controller: 7.3.2P4

Browser: IE8, 8.0.7601.17514

I will be happy to send you the Support Bundle to your NetApp email address, but not to this community thread.

Thanks,

Dale

karthikv

You should be able to see all the qtrees ( unix, ntfs and mixed ) on the qtrees page. The security style of the underlying volume can be either unix, ntfs or mixed ( screenshot below )

Are you using the supported OS and the browser?

Can you please set the log level to trace and generate the support bundle and send it to us ?

Setting log level:

Tools -> Options -> Log level

Generating Support Bundle

Help -> Support Bundle -> Generate support bundle link

After setting the log level to trace and before generating the support bundle, please access the qtree window and refersh the screen so that the operations get logged in the log file.

Thanks,

Karthik

TEAMSTER1963

Well we have just started using NetAPP I like what I see so far.

Thanks Marc kingsbury

macmillangm

I have a screenshot showing the discrepancy between filerview and Sys Man but when I try to post it your site says I am unauthorized.

In any case the numbers you requested are:

Firefox 3.6.23 or IE 8.0.7601.17514 (both browsers, same result)

My machine is Win 7PRO 64 bit SP1

ONTP 7.3.3P2

NetApp 3140

let me know where to forward support bundle

konnerth

Hi,

Is there any capability to create a FlexCache volume with System Manager 2 or is this planned?  I didn't see it in the Volume Create wizard and a search of the documents and this site turned up nothing.

Thanks,

---Karl

h_schneider

Hi ALL,

in SnapMirror relationship Create Wizard i fond an issuer regarding bandwidth limitation.

kbps means kilo bit per second

in the Summary page I found KB/Sec which means kilo BYTE per second

so what is right now ?

Thx,

Harald

scottgelb

The SnapMirror throttle is KiloByte per second...not always consistent in the labels apparently.

jhamoline

The same inconsistancy can be found in the Netapp Management Console, version 3.1, when viewing LUN Throughput in (Bytes)Bps which actually displays in (bits)bps (according to the legend on the Y axis) but in reality its in Bytes per second. Very confusing.

dahleihel

it is odd that you removed the "make spare" option to take disk ownership.

dzorgnotti

Hi,

I'd really need an option to manually set the ip-address of the controllers in a HA-pair like VSC 2 is capable.

Currently SM only accecpts an manual entry for the first controller (via ADD) and then resolves the second name via DNS.

Now  I'm running into the following problem:

I've got an HA-Pair called "filer-A "and "filer-B", both with a management interface (e0m) and a data-interface (i.e. vif0) - each in a different subnet:

filer-A:

e0m - 1.1.1.1 / 24

vif0 - 2.2.2.1 / 24

filer-B:

e0m - 1.1.1.2 / 24

vif0 - 2.2.2.2 / 24

Since my users should not connect to the management interface I added two dns-entries like "filer-A -> 2.2.2.1" and "filer-B -> 2.2.2.2" (so the entries point to the vif0 interface.). Now I restricted httpd.admin.access, ssh etc. to the e0M-interfaces.

My problem:

Adding  "filer-A" to the systemmanager with it's management-IP "1.1.1.1" the second controller is automaticly resolved into "filer-B: 2.2.2.2".

I can't force SM to change the ip-address of the filer-B entry (the virtual storage console offers a drop menu for all the configured ip-adresses) and since I restriced the management-access I'm unable to connect via SM.

Adding entries to my local "hosts" file is a work-around but a bad one and changed the dns entry to the management ip isn't an option either.

Is quite a simple problem and I hope my description isn't too complex.

Regards,

Dominik

tsentekin

hi,

i'm using DOT 8.1RC2 with OnCommand 2.0R1 on a FAS3240 Strech MC.  using it with IE9.

i cannot see the "LUNS" tab in the manager in any way,

SysMgr 1.1 shows it, but takes a long time to initialize.

is there any fix for the issue?

Message was edited by: Tolga Sentekin i've found out that OnCommand cannot see the FC and ISCSI licenses of the filers, that's why i cannot see the tabs, is it a bug?

UweRoosAvnet

Hi,

see here for temporary workaround:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/70798#70798

Public