Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Finding monitoring errors on filers?

darrendunham

Is there a CLI way of finding login credential issues with appliances from operations manager?  I can see some of what I want from opening the managment console and scrolling through the hosts looking for red.  But I'd prefer to do this without having to launch the console.

If I were very patient, I could run every host through 'dfm host diag <host>', but that would take a long time.  Is there some other location for that information?

Thanks,

--

Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sinhaa

Darren,

The report events-warning only show the current events. Once the condition that generated the event is resolved or the event is deleted manually by a DFM administrator ( or a user with the required privileges), it goes to the history. Now in your case as dfm diag suggests, the event condition hasn't been resolved as yet, so the possibilities are:

1. The Host Login Failed warning event hasn't been generated as yet . Very unlikely as once dfm diag starts showing the informationed for the Failed login, events do get generated within minutes. I assume you have waited enough to rule out this possibility.

2. Are all the dfm services running? See it with the command "dfm service list". If some are not, start them by command "dfm service start"

3. The Host Login Failed warning event generated but was deleted.

To see this, try the report of history events and of the deleted events.

dfm report view events-history <host_name or ID>

and

dfm report view events-history-deleted <host_name or ID>

Here you'll know when and by whom the event was deleted.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

sinhaa

Hello Darren,

When Login credentials are not set or are incorrect, a warning event "Host Login Failed" is generated againt that host. This will be also avaiable on the report for events-warning.

Try the following command to see this report. It will show all the hosts whose Login credentials are not set or are incorrect.

Windows:

C:\>dfm report view events-warning |findstr /L Login

Warning  2472     Host Login Failed                                         02 Jul 08:24                        323       host1                          

Warning  2466     Host Login Failed                                         02 Jul 08:24                        326       host2                            

Warning  2465     Host Login Failed                                         02 Jul 08:24                        324       host3                       

Warning  2421     Host Login Failed                                         02 Jul 08:24                        319       host4            

Warning  2398     Host Login Failed                                         02 Jul 08:23                        325       host5

C:\>

On Linux it should be:

dfm report view events-warning|grep "Login"

I hope this helps.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

darrendunham

Hmm.  I'm not seeing that on this system.

From dfm host diag:

[...]

SNMP Version in Use    SNMPv1 

SNMPv1                 Passed (565 ms) 

SNMP Community         nvidia_newsec 

SNMP sysName           netapp-hq05.nvidia.com

SNMP sysObjectID       .1.3.6.1.4.1.789.2.1 (Filer)

SNMP productId         0050411198 

SNMPv3                 Failed: Authentication failure (incorrect password, community or key)

SNMPv3 Auth Protocol   MD5 

SNMPv3 Privacy Enabled No 

SNMPv3 Username        root 

ICMP Echo              Passed (21 ms) 

HTTP                   Passed (6 ms) 

NDMP Ping              Passed (port 10000, 12 ms) 

NDMP Connect           Passed (308 ms)

NDMP MD5 Passwd Check  Passed

RSH                    Login incorrect. 

SSH                    Permission denied (publickey,password). 

RLM                    Skipped (hostRLMAddress is empty) 

XML (http port 80)     HTTP POST - Authorization failed 

[...]

But from the warning report:

# dfm reports view events-warning | grep -i login

#

I do have a matching historical line, but not for the filer that currently has the invalid password.

--

Darren

sinhaa

Darren,

The report events-warning only show the current events. Once the condition that generated the event is resolved or the event is deleted manually by a DFM administrator ( or a user with the required privileges), it goes to the history. Now in your case as dfm diag suggests, the event condition hasn't been resolved as yet, so the possibilities are:

1. The Host Login Failed warning event hasn't been generated as yet . Very unlikely as once dfm diag starts showing the informationed for the Failed login, events do get generated within minutes. I assume you have waited enough to rule out this possibility.

2. Are all the dfm services running? See it with the command "dfm service list". If some are not, start them by command "dfm service start"

3. The Host Login Failed warning event generated but was deleted.

To see this, try the report of history events and of the deleted events.

dfm report view events-history <host_name or ID>

and

dfm report view events-history-deleted <host_name or ID>

Here you'll know when and by whom the event was deleted.

warm regards,

Abhishek

darrendunham

I see.  It looks like someone has indeed deleted the event.  Further testing seems to show that deleting the event triggers the managment console to turn the "login credentials" box to green as well.

I don't suppose there's any way to get DFM to post a new alert for this condition until I can get it repaired?  Would be nice to have it more obvious that the data on this system is suspect.

Thanks!

--

Darren

Public