Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Help me stop the madness: I would like DFM to report in MB or GB not KB..

text

Maybe I'm just being picky (mostly true).  In this day and age I feel we shouldn't be reporting data in KB ...  Does any one know how to change this inside DFM server so it's reads easier....   I'm looking for a simple change and recreating reports isn't realy the options I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Today

Qtree XXXXXXXX data space has grown from 80632064 KB to 111475484 KB in last 4.13 hours. Normal growth rate is 81477.20 KB/hour.

Would Like to see:

Qtree XXXXXXXX data space has grown from 76.89 GB to 106 GB in last 4.13 hours. Normal growth rate is 81477.20 KB/hour.

10 REPLIES 10

msaravan

Yes, You can achieve that in DFM.

Refer the FAQ http://web.netapp.com/engineering/design-depot/appliance-mgmt/champagne/faq-3-8.html#_6.5 which will help you.

Ex:

"dfm report create -R Volume -f "Volume.Name=Volume Name, Volume.Type, Volume.Used:KB=Used Space, Volume.Aggregate.Name" -L "my Volumes" my-volumes1"

Here, the report my-volumes1 will display the "Used Space" in KB. Other possible values are "B, KB, MB, GB, TB, PB".

Regards,

Saravanan

text

Sorry for not being completely clear..  Operations manager (AKA DFM) likes to report all capcities in KB when and error, alert, etc.  This was great about 8-10 years ago, today we are dealing with 100's to 1,000 of  TB.  So i would like all my alerts to report in some readable value not some 2 or 3 comma value.  I sure don't ask my sales team to sell me : 64,424,509,440 KB of storage...(60 TB).  

Just looking to make life easy and it's the little things that count.

FYI you link was internal and refers to reporting...

Ray

adaikkap

I got your point.You would like to have humanreadable form values not always in KBs.

Let me see if there is any tweak to do this .

Regards

adai

msaravan

Hi Ray,

There are 2 things involved in this query.

1. Generate a report which should list all the spaces in MB/GB instead of KB  - For this you can use the method mentioned there.

2. In alerts/events, show the data in MB/GB instead of KB - I think, this is what you are expecting. Am I correct ?

Saravanan

__frostbyte_9045

Yes, I would like to see it in the alerts/events/web view.  Being the only guy in the shop that does VMware, Storage, etc, I don't often make reports and rely on the console for information.

ssantosh

> So i would like all my alerts to report in some readable value not some 2 or 3 comma value.

Currently there is no option to get alerts to report in units like MB, GB or TB.

But it is possible to create a custom report with units like MB, GB or TB. You can refer to the thread http://communities.netapp.com/thread/5486.

Thanks,

Santosh

fdaniel

I cannot seem to get the syntax right for the 'dfm report modify' command. I would like to try and get outputs in just GB--no TB or MB. Thanks.

sanjyoth

>>I cannot seem to get  the syntax right for the 'dfm report modify' command. I would like to  try and get outputs in just GB--no TB or MB. Thanks.

Here is an extract from the manual:

=dfm report  create
    Creates a new custom report.

dfm report create -R catalog -f field [ -L long-name ][ -d description ][ -D display-tab ] report-name

Creates a report named report-name from catalog catalog with field fields.

long-name: The name under which the report shows in the Operations Manager.

description: The description of the report.

catalog: Catalog from which the fields are derived.

field: A comma separated list of fields.

The format of a field is field-name[ :format-qualifier[ .precision ] ][ =pretty-name ].

To use a field from the base catalog, use field-name or base-catalog.field-name.

To use a field from a parent catalog (fields marked with (A) in a catalog), use parent-catalog.[ grandparent-catalog. ... ].field-name or base-catalog.[ parent-catalog. ... ].field-name

The valid values of format qualifier for fields of the following type are:

Bytes: A (auto-scale), B, KB, MB, GB, TB, PB.

Time: 24H or AMPM

Dates: Any combination of DD, MM or MMM and YY or YYYY.

Percentages: Any number up to and including seven.

Precision: Any number up to and including seven. This is valid only for fields of type Byte, when the scaling specified is not auto-scale (A).

pretty-name: The name of the field as shown in the report.

dfm report modify
    Modifies an existing custom report.

dfm report modify [ -f field ][ -L long-name ][ -d description ][ -D display-tab ][ -n new-name ] report-name

Changes the specification of a custom report depending on the options supplied. When -f option is specified, all the existing fields present in the report are deleted and replaced with the input fields in this command.

new-name: The new CLI name for the report.

All other options are the same as for dfm report create.

Check out this thread: <http://communities.netapp.com/thread/7287?tstart=0>

This explains how to use bothe 'dfm report create' and 'dfm report modify' as modify is similar to create.

If you want to see everything in GB then specify the same for auto-scale filed.

Hope this was helpful.

Sanjyoth

fdaniel

This was helpful and I see the scaling has to be done at creation, not to an existing report. However, I found that autoscale on an existing report can be changed from the GUI quite easily. I missed this. Thanks all.

adaikkap

This can be done even with dfm report modify, after creation of reports. Not necessary to be done @ the time of report creation.

Regards

adai

Public