2011-12-05 12:47 AM
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I´ve read through the documents and couldn´t quit find the answer.
I have a customer with vSphere 4.
They want to connect to our filer now but after some initial tests the VMware admin thought that the NetApp applications used a lot of memory on the client.
So they want to install the hostpackage on an external client instead.
And I have two questions.
1. What ports should be opened in what direction? There should be both to the ESX/vSphere klient and to our Management server?
2. Is both the Host Package and VSC to be installed on the external klient or shoudl the VSC still be isntalled on te ESX/vSphere klient?
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I´m new to this?
Thanks in advance..
Solved! SEE THE SOLUTION
2012-04-19 01:21 AM
just tp bring some ativity into this community:
regarding your second question:
- VSC and Host Package are completely independent products so you can install them on different servers
- however if you do so you are loosing the ability to configure a local shared "lock" folder, preventing a deadlock situation between VSC and Host Package:
- you might be able to setup a shared lock directory on a network share though
Installation Guide: (page 51)
If you plan to install OnCommand Host Package on the same system as Virtual Storage Console
2.1.1, a best practice is to setup a shared lock directory. A shared lock directory is used for products
that share resources through the vSphere client. This ensures that mutually exclusive functions do not
happen in parallel. For example, cloning of a virtual machine through Virtual Storage Console at
same time that OnCommand Host Package is attempting to restore the same virtual machine.
hope that helps partially...
2013-02-22 04:37 AM
Is the same recommendation (to use a shares lock dir between VSC and Host Package) still there for VSC 4.0 / 4.1 and Host Package 1.2?
Because the HS setup guide explicitly states VSC version 2.1.1.
2013-02-22 04:53 AM
couldn't think of a reason why it should not be required any more, so yes.
The documentation has probably just not been updated.
2013-03-01 12:28 AM
Gesendet: Samstag, 23. Februar 2013 04:59
An: Mark Schuren
Re: Host Package on external client
created by Adaikkappan Arumugam<https://communities.netapp.com/people/adaikkap> in OnCommand Management Software - View the full discussion<https://communities.netapp.com/message/101130#101130>
Yes, because they are still competing actions that are possible by VSC and HP. I am filing a bug for the same to get it updated.
Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/message/101130#101130>
Start a new discussion in OnCommand Management Software by email<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> or at NetApp Community<https://communities.netapp.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=2026>