Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How can we upgrade or convert FAS2050A to FAS32xx

jaroenntap

Regarding to NetApp claim, FAS2000 can be upgrade to FAS3200, FAS6200, I would like to know how can to convert upgrade FAS2050 to FAS32xx or FAS62xx?

Thx

Jr.

4 REPLIES 4

i3_nheusel

The NetApp in-place upgrade capability simply means replacing your existing controllers (filers) with a newer model while reusing the disk trays.  This is a benefit of modular storage design (vs. the traditional frame).  Aside from any new I/O ports, all of your configuration and user data remains intact.  A NetApp engineer usually assists the customer with performing these upgrades, but it's not that difficult and doesn't take very long if you plan properly.

I would think the internal storage on a 2000 series would have to be migrated to external spindles, however.

adrian

Is there a document on a head swap from a FAS32xx to a FAS62xx?

thanks for any other information on preparing for the head swap, if any

andrc

This is as close as it gets: http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/NetApp/cs_migration/FAS31xx/31xx_to_62xx_HA-pair/GUID-BE903B5F-F52B-45DD-BDF1-B012704E6C12.html

Saying that, you should be able to take what's required from this and switch the relevant info to match your situation. It's pretty much common sense....

radek_kubka

Let's not forget we are talking here about FAS2050, which is not upgradeable at all - as far as main unit & drives in it are concerned.

Only external shelves (if there are any) can be moved to a new system.

Regards,

Radek

Public