Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How do I change the administrative host for a vFiler in System Manager?

TMADOCTHOMAS

Hello,

I am about to migrate to a new NetApp management server and need to change the administrative host setting found in vFiler0 on all of our filers (and on a few of our regular vFilers), but can find no way to do so in System Manager (or from the command line for that matter).  Does anyone know how to make this change?  These vFilers are on a mix of Data OnTAP 8.0.2P7 through 8.1.2.  System Manager version is 2.1.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sharmadevender

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

This command works like a charm for me, so Probably you don't need worry about it, "setup -a" command will not run any setup command again, it will just change admin host IP.

fas3170>

vfiler run fas3170_vfiler2 setup -a 192.168.150.250

2.). Confirm “rdfile /vol/fas6080a_vfiler1_root/etc/hosts.equiv” and “rdfile

/vol/fas6080a_vfiler1_root/etc/exports”

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

sharmadevender

Hi,

Run below mentioned command to change it.

options admin.hosts <new hostname>

You need to change your existing settings for e.g. the hosts.equiv and/or exports file manually.

See also https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb52675

Hope it helps

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you sharmadevender!  The admin.hosts option only appears on the filer itself, but when I switch contexts to a vFiler it it not an option.  Is there a way to edit this setting for individual vFilers?

The link you send didn't work ... can you double-check it?

sharmadevender

for Vfiler you can try this command.

Filer1> vfiler run "vfiler name" setup -a "New admin host IP address"

eg.

Let me know, in case you still face any issue. and sorry for link, they have moved this link.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thank you sharmadevendor!  Wouldn't running 'vfiler run setup' be only for setting up a brand new vFiler?  Or does it allow you to edit existing ones as well, as you are suggesting?

I am in an environment where I have to have certainty and a plan before executing any commands, so I cannot just 'try' this ... I have to be certain it will work first.

sharmadevender

Hi TMADOCTHOMAS,

This command works like a charm for me, so Probably you don't need worry about it, "setup -a" command will not run any setup command again, it will just change admin host IP.

fas3170>

2.). Confirm “rdfile /vol/fas6080a_vfiler1_root/etc/hosts.equiv” and “rdfile

/vol/fas6080a_vfiler1_root/etc/exports”

TMADOCTHOMAS

Excellent, thanks sharmadevender!

TMADOCTHOMAS

One follow up question.  What is the proper syntax for specifying mutliple admin hosts using this command?  Would it simply be a comma separated list, or would you use : as the separator, as in the exports list?

sharmadevender

Either you run below mentioned command

vfiler setup vfiler1 setup -a "192.168.1.1 192.168.1.2"

or manually edit Exports and Hosts.equiv files and run source command commit changes mentioned in file.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Excellent, thank you sharmadevender!

scottgelb

This is from my Insight labs   I prefer not to run setup again since it does whack a bunch of files...  editing exports and hosts.equiv is my preferred method to cause less disruption.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks Scott!  What do you mean that setup 'whacks a bunch of files"?

If I edit the exports file in the vFiler's etc folder, I know I can run exportfs to activate the changes.  However, if I update hosts.equiv, how do I activate those changes?  As an aside, do I even need hosts.equiv?  We only connect to our filers via Windows boxes.  The ones I've looked at so far are blank, but I can administer the c$ share anyway.

scottgelb

The setup command will always update/clear out hosts, hosts.equiv, exports, resolv.conf… see in the lab..

scottgelb

no need for it... but changes are immediate to hosts.equiv...no loading of the file needed.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Thanks Scott.  I couldn't see info on the files in the lab guide. 

Based on your comments, I may try the exports approach as it sounds safer.  So it would be fine to just update exports and not hosts.equiv?

scottgelb

if you don't need hosts.equiv then no need to update it..

TMADOCTHOMAS

OK thanks.  I think I will definately try the exports update approach.

scottgelb

The final update to the MultiStore lab guides...all updates up to 8.1 with the fas6280_vfiler1 instead of fas6080_vfiler1 in this update.. We retired these since there won't be much change with vFiler features... the cool thing in 8.1 is interactive ssh direct to a vFiler and some other tricks I added in the management and appendix sections.  For those with lab on demand access, the lab with supporting VMs is also available there.

TMADOCTHOMAS

Interesting timing, as I am taking the online Multistore class this Monday!

Public