Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to configure DFM so as to discover the netapp storages?

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

hi,

i am a newbie of netapp. I have a question about DFM.

I downloaded dfmsetup-4-0-2-win32 and nmconsole-setup-3-0-2-win32.  and  I installed them on my VM(windows2008, the IP is 10.73.203.XX) successfully.

I can log in http://10.73.203.XX:8080/ with my domain account to browse the operation manager;

I can also log in NetApp Management Console 3.0.2 via my domain account.

but the issue is that there is no data, no storage found yet.

The IP network of my storage is 10.73.202.XX; and the BMC IP of my storage is 10.74.240.XX.

as per the DMF doc,  no configuration needed. the DFM will auto-discovery the filer within a few minutes if the network allows it.

but currently I can't get answer if I ping the storage IP 10.73.202.XX or the BMC IP 10.74.240.XX from the windows server.

this is a network zone with strict network security rules.  The permissions are allowed on demand.

what am supposed to do? I mean do I need to open ports? if yes, which ports do I need to open then the DFM can discover the storage filer?

there are ports  what I got from the DFM doc. but I am not sure whether they are enough.

ssh 22(ssh), 80(http), 443(https),10000(ntdmp ), 514(rsh)

Please help point the right direction.  thanks in advance!

16 REPLIES 16

arunchak

Hi,

Can you check whether windows firewall is enabled on your win2k8 server?

You should be able to ping the storage from DFM server. Also try resolving your storage system from the DFM server.

Once ping works fine, You can as well add your storage system to DFM using the following command "dfm host add <storage system ip>"

and set the credentials for the storage system using "dfm host set <storage system ip> hostLogin=<user name> hostPassword=<password>"

Thanks,

Arun

pukale

You can add storage using NMC. In NMC, under provisioning and protection dashboard,   Click on " Hosts-> Storage Systems"

1. to add new Netapp storage click on add

2. To set credentials for filers in DFM, click on Edit

else, from cli, run

# dfm host add <storage system ip>

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

"under provisioning and protection dashboard,   Click on " Hosts-> Storage Systems"

I don't have "provisioning and protection" in dashboard...I think we do purchase that...............please look into the following screenshot.

I  indeed can see "provisioning and protection dashboard" in other DFM box.

so how can I make "provisioning and protection dashboard" show up?

pukale

In NMC Please check for: Help->about-Licenses. You need to have below below licenses:

1. Protection with Disaster Recovery

2. Provisioning

Once you have this, Provisioning and protection manager Dashboard appears. Please refer attachment.

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

I clicked Help->about-Licenses, but there is no  " Protection with Disaster Recovery" and "Provisioning".....

I have " Protection with Disaster Recovery" and "Provisioning". in our exsiting DFM server........but it's empty on these 2 boxes I installed DFM and NMC last week....

How can I make them appear?

adaikkap

What version of DFM are you running ? Are you on 5.0 ? If so you wont see that as starting Oncommand 5.0 you have only one license namely core license and that enables all features like protection, provisioning etc upto 250 nodes.

Regards

adai

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

hi, adai

I installed  DFM(version:4.0.2.7803) and NMC(version:3.0.2)on  windows 2008

seems I didn;t license the feature...during the installation process, I only type the "Core" license

C:\Users\iyang>dfm license list Provisioning 

Error: Provisioning Manager: not licensed.

But I am sure we have purchased the license since I can see both  Protection with Disaster Recovery" and "Provisioning" in our old DFM server.

so How can I know our license for  Protection with Disaster Recovery" and "Provisioning"..... and import them to our new DFM boxes?

thanks very much!

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

we have an old DFM box ws0034dfm01.  The DFM CLI shows that Provisioning is not licensed either. But I do can see provisioning and protection  under dashboard....

C:\Users\iyang>hostname
WS0034DFM01

C:\Users\iyang>dfm license list Provisioning
Error: Provisioning Manager: not licensed.

so is there any step I missed? Why the  "provisioning and protection" tab doesn't show up?

adaikkap

Hi

Is there are reason why you installed 4.0.2 now when we already have 5.0.2 which is far better than 4.0.2 in terms of features and scalability. In 5.0.2 your core license will enable you all features like protection/provisioning and that to upto 250 nodes.

If for some reason you still have to stay in 4.0.2 pls use the master license key to get all this feature.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/olio/guides/master_lickey/

Regards

adai

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

I didn't realized that.  then I will re-install my DFM.  I am a newbie of Netapp.

I just download a DFM software pack from NOW

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

please look into the screentshot

when I downloaded DFM, I was told that 4.0.2 was the latest version and that is why I installed 4.0.2.   when can I get 5.0.2?

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

wow thanks for your prompt reply!

Pradeep!

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

hi, adai

the keys are working!!

thanks very much for you help!

pradeepl

HI,

The discovery of storage systems on the network depends on the prefix length too. Is the prefix length allowing the dfm ip to reach the storage systems ip ?

Regards

Pradeep L

IVY_YANGXIAOHUA

hi, Dear all

thanks very much for your guys prompt reply....it's very useful

Public