Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

How to migrate OnCommand Core Package (DFM) servers?

RATNATHURAI

We are currently  running DFM ver 5.0 on windows 2003 server (32-bit) .

We want to migrate the this old DFM from windows 2003  to new windows host (windows 2012).

I am planning to install unified core package(ver 5.2) on a new server while the old server is in operation.

Then backup the database from old and restore it to the new server to transfer all configuration and historical data from old to new.

Deactivate the license from the old and activate it in the new server.

I am not sure whether the database backup and restore will work from old ver to new ver(5.0 to 5.2).

Or I have to install old ver on the new windows server then do the in place upgrade on the old DFM?

What is correct process to upgrade our old ver5.0 to new? If you have any comments or suggestion , I appreciate.  Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

elegua

Here the steps i followed to migrate from 5.0 OS 2003  to 5.2.1 OS 2008 R2  without no issues, this should work for 2012 as well.

======================================================================================================================

1. Capture and save the license from the current install:

C:\>dfm license list

Feature          License Code   Serial #    Expiration

---------------- -------------- ----------- -----------

core             ************** 1-50-****** ***********

2. Run these commands:

dfm service stop

dfm service start sql

dfm backup create -v   <---> ****** very important that you use -v here ******

*If this completes successfully it will provide the full path and filename of the backup*

*If this fails, let us know as we'll need to fix this before moving forward.*

1. Disable monitoring and purge controllers and vFilers no longer existent or monitored:

dfm option set discoverEnabled=No

Linux: for i in `dfm host list -a | grep -i yes | awk '{print $1}'`;do dfm host delete -f $i;done

Windows: for /f "tokens=1" %i in ('"dfm host list -a | findstr /I "yes""') do dfm host delete -f %i | echo HostID=%i

1. Take another backup.

dfm backup create -v

*If this completes successfully it will provide the full path and filename of the backup*

1. Move the last backup to a safe location. It should be a place in which the new server can access it in order to restore the DFM db.

1. Now Go to the New Windows server and install UM 5.2.1

1. Install UM 5.2.1:

Windows - http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_win/5.2.1/

Linux - http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_lin/5.2.1/

1. Restore the backup

dfm backup restore <path>\<file>

The restore will take an unknown amount of time due to the database cleanup included in the process.

====================================================================================================================

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Elegua.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

bobshouseofcards

The database schemas between DFM 5.0 and 5.2 are different.  Assume that backup/restore functionality is not going to work between releases.

While you can certainly install the new 5.2 and have it ready to go, I suggest you upgrade the existing one in place, then do the backup/restore cycle.  Or if DFM 5.0 can run on 2012, transfer then upgrade.  Either way - keep the versions the same during the backup/restore cycle.

hariprak

Hi,

You can refer below document,

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1608412

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

elegua

Here the steps i followed to migrate from 5.0 OS 2003  to 5.2.1 OS 2008 R2  without no issues, this should work for 2012 as well.

======================================================================================================================

1. Capture and save the license from the current install:

C:\>dfm license list

Feature          License Code   Serial #    Expiration

---------------- -------------- ----------- -----------

core             ************** 1-50-****** ***********

2. Run these commands:

dfm service stop

dfm service start sql

dfm backup create -v   <---> ****** very important that you use -v here ******

1. Disable monitoring and purge controllers and vFilers no longer existent or monitored:

dfm option set discoverEnabled=No

Linux: for i in `dfm host list -a | grep -i yes | awk '{print $1}'`;do dfm host delete -f $i;done

Windows: for /f "tokens=1" %i in ('"dfm host list -a | findstr /I "yes""') do dfm host delete -f %i | echo HostID=%i

1. Take another backup.

dfm backup create -v

1. Move the last backup to a safe location. It should be a place in which the new server can access it in order to restore the DFM db.

1. Now Go to the New Windows server and install UM 5.2.1

1. Install UM 5.2.1:

Windows - http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_win/5.2.1/

Linux - http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/occore_lin/5.2.1/

1. Restore the backup

dfm backup restore <path>\<file>

The restore will take an unknown amount of time due to the database cleanup included in the process.

====================================================================================================================

Elegua.

RATNATHURAI

Thank you for the info.

We are using slef signed certificate.

Should I have to transfer the certificate from old server to new server?

elegua

Yes, copy what is here: \DataFabric Manager install directory\conf\keys\ from the old server and paste it to the new server (same path) and then do this: dfm ssl service reload

That should do it.

Elegus.

RATNATHURAI

I have one more question regarding the certificate:

The self sign certificate was genereated on the old server. 

I am going to copy the key folder which consist of cert, private_keys and trustore.

Do I have to run dfm ssl setup after the restore the databse? 

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1608412

Page 43 on the above link.

elegua

HI,

Are you using the same name and IP ??, we used the same so we did not run dfm ssl setup cmd, just the one i mentioned before, if you changing name or IP yes, you should run this cmd on the new server and enter the info asked.

Elegua

RATNATHURAI

Yes, I am using a new server with separate ip and host name.

I am  leaving the old server to run and install DFM5.2.1 in paralle (on new server).

Copy the key folder to new server

Backup the databse and copy the backup to new server.

Restore the database

Then

run ssl setup

sssl reload

ssl add truststore.

elegua

Great that that work for you Smiley Wink

Elegua

Public