Subscribe

How to understand performance

Hi,

My storage admin duties are growing and I need to understand performance and how to trouble shoot performance issues.  I found  tr-3525 but it is a little dated, and does not cover ops manager 4.0.   I keep asking this question and people say it is an art and a science.  Does anyone have any good resoruces for how to learn more on understanding and troublshooting performance?

I do have operations manager 4.0 and with NetApp Management console I get all the info I need, I just need to learn how to use.

Thanks

Bob

Re: How to understand performance

Did you take the NetApp university courses? For DFM 4.0 and its suite of products?

Regards

adai

Adai,

Have you seen a specific course?  I looked at university  and I found
Operations Manager 3.7, Protection Manager 3.7 and Provisioning Manager 3.7 AdMinistration  --- which is not for version 4 and also not being offered.

I also did the web based Getting Started with NetApp Software: Manage Efficient Storage Growth --- but it did not cover performance.

Bob

Hi Bader,

We have created a new TR-3836 (INTERNAL ONLY) on "Performance Diagnosis using Performance Advisor". This document provides best practices for using Performance Diagnosis  feature available through Operations Manager 4.0. It is intended for  Storage Administrators/NGS who want to troubleshoot the storage system  for performance related issues.

Currently this TR is available from fieldportal  (https://fieldportal.netapp.com/default.asp).

Regards

Balaji Katika

Would it be considered all right to pass along to sufficiently technical customers and/or customers under NDA?

I really like the ability in Performance Advisor now (given OM 4.0) to track aggregate disk busy-ness from a historical perspective.

What counters do you use to track aggregate disk busy-ness ?

You can use statit, disk utilization.   -Wei

Do you mean this TR can be shared with external customers ?

Answer is yes. But any modifications to the diagnosis configuration (including adding new rules) are recommended to be done under the guidance/supervision of NGS.

In the Performance Advisor section of NetApp Management Console 3.0 (come with Operations Manager 4.0), I specifically like to make a custom historical graph tacking aggregate:pa_avg_disk_busy, aggregate:pa_max_disk_busy, aggregate:pa_min_disk_busy.

I'm also experimenting with some alerts around aggregate:pa_mix_disk_busy if stays above 90% for more than 10 minutes (for example).

See attached screenshot....

Hmm....searching on "Performance Advisor" or "tr-3836" in Field Portal doesn't turn up anything. Is this available to partners?