Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

I cannot agreggat one disk in aggregate with eight disk SATA 1TB in a Raid Group 14 disks

jarquillo

I have one aggregate in a FAS 2020 with eight disk 1 TB SATA.

I cannot add more disk in this agreggate. I have six disks spare and i cannot aggregate this disk in a aggregate.

I have this error.

The version of Data On Tap is 7.2.5

What is the solution ?

A lot of thanks.....

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

ewerner

Thanks for posting!

For your version of ONTAP, the maximum aggregate size for a FAS2020 is 8TB.

Per document kb34728: Although the FAS2020 can effectively manage, address, and provide access to aggregates up to 16TB, the successful execution of WAFL recovery tools requires that FAS2020 aggregates be (8TB) or less.  

These data recovery tools are employed in the rare cases when data on the storage system is changed outside of WAFL file system semantics. These WAFL recovery tools differentiate NetApp, Inc., products by ensuring that reconstruction and repair tools are available for these rare cases.

Furthermore, per document kb34044: The maximum aggregate size on FAS2020 is increased with Data ONTAP 7.3.1 to 16TB, the same maximum aggregate size as on any other platform type supported by Data ONTAP 7.3.1.

In short, the only way to get a 16TB aggregate with a 2020 is to use 7.3.1.

Does that help?

Ethan Werner

Technical Systems Engineer

NetApp

www.netapp.com

thomas_glodde

Ethan,

assuming we run 7.3.2 on a FAS2020, do we need to keep 1 or 2 spares to create a 16TB aggregate?!

Word has been that you need 2 spares, limiting the use of 12 x 1TB internal disks down to 8 data disks only 😞

Kind regards,

Thomas

ewerner

Thomas,

You can have 1, but 2 is considered best practice.

Here is the information on the topic:

Hot spare best practices

At a minimum, you should have at least one matching or appropriate hot spare available for each kind of disk installed in your storage system. However, having two available hot spares for all disks is a recommended best practice.

Having at least two available hot spares for all disks provides the following benefits:

• At least two hot spares must be available in order to put a disk into the maintenance center.
  • Having two hot spares means that when a disk fails, you still have a spare available if another disk fails before you replace the first failed disk.

Does that help?

Ethan Werner

Technical Systems Engineer

NetApp

www.netapp.com

thomas_glodde

Ethan,

see:

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel732/html/ontap/rnote/rel_notes/concept/c_oc_rn_feat731-hw-fas2020-aggr-capacity.html

Beginning with Data ONTAP 7.3.1, FAS2020 systems support aggregates up to 16 TB raw capacity, provided that the root volume is hosted in a dedicated aggregate (that is, one that contains only the root volume and no user data).

Note: An alternative to maintaining a dedicated root aggregate is to maintain two spare disks per controller. A dedicated root aggregate configuration of three disks is the recommended best practice for all systems. However, if such a configuration is not practical in your environment, you must maintain two spare disks per controller if you configure your FAS2020 system for aggregates larger than 8 TB raw capacity.

If you do not configure aggregates larger than 8 TB raw capacity on your FAS2020 system, the conditions for two spare disks or a dedicated root aggregate do not apply.

So seems that you still NEED 2 spares 😞

Regards,

Thomas

ewerner

If you're looking to avoid having a dedicated root aggregate, it looks like you're right, Thomas.

Does anyone else have any input on this one?

adamfox

For a system this small, I would not recommend a dedicated root aggregate.  It just doesn't make sense.

Also you can have 1 spare, it's just that FilerView won't let you do it.  If you use the CLI, you can over-ride that and only have 1 spare.  Again, for a system this small, that's exactly what I would do.

thomas_glodde

Adam,

Its just that if you only use 1 spare, in case of a desaster you might not be able to succesfuly run wafl iron on an aggregate above 8TB

Kind regards

Thomas

Public