Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Install requires "default administrator account"

korns

The WFA Installation and Setup Guide, on page 13, step 1, reads (WFA 2.2 in this case but I think previous versions said something similar):

1. Log in to Windows using the default administrator account.
    Note: You must not install WFA using any other Windows user accounts, including the user

accounts that have administrator privileges, for security purposes.

It is not uncommon for storage related administrators who have an account with administrative privledge but not the actual "default administrator account" to be the designated individual to install this product. As such, a customer has asked "what impact" it would be if installing the product as a non-default but privileged account? In a large account this could be problematic. Further questions I have include;

• When the documentation says "default administrator account" it does not say "domain" or local builtin on the server. Which does it mean? Could it be either domain or local administrator account? The local administrator account "might" be easier to delegate to a storage admin but I'm sure the preference is to simply allow an account with "Administrators" group privilege.
  • Why? is there a known issue or is it just that it has not been tested?
1 REPLY 1

sinhaa

@ When the documentation says "default administrator account" it does not say "domain" or local builtin on the server. Which does it mean?

===

Any user who is in Group "Administrators" be it local or domain should be fine.

@ Why? is there a known issue or is it just that it has not been tested?

===

I don't know all reasons but some things don't work unless you login as the Administrator user i.e. a user with Administrative privileges. What I have noticed and remember is that some WFA applications access the windows registry and a non-administrator user doesn't have the right for it. 

WFA service by default runs using the Local account, and if the local account doesn't have all permissions , WFA functioning could be affected. 

But I haven't tested much on this area.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Public