Subscribe

Installed 2.2RC1 on Win7 with IE9 -> double-clicking the desktop icon "does nothing"

I guess I'm not a very good Windows expert because I have no idea what this problem is nor do I have a hint as to how to debug this.

BACKGROUND: user had previous installed 2.0.2 on Win7 and was successfully using it for a few months, probably with IE8 as the default browser. After some period of time, and a change in the default browser (to Firefox or Chrome I think) SysMan stopped working. It gave some error upon launch which I never got to see. To resolve, we decided to go back to IE as the default browser. I saw the SysMan 2.2RC1 officially supported IE9 so we decided to go down that path. Previous un-working version of SysMan was un-installed and IE9 was installed (which 2.2 seems to offically support). We downloaded 2.2RC1 and it seemed to successfully install including a new icon on desktop. (FWIW, it did not complain about any Java version issues). The problem/symptom after those steps is the icon is dead.

I've never seen an icon "do nothing" when you double-click it. Tried "Run as Administrate' (no luck); tried "Open File Location" which opens containing folder and dbl-clicked the application within ... same "no action" result.

What are some data-points to gather or things to try to resolve this?

Re: Installed 2.2RC1 on Win7 with IE9 -> double-clicking the desktop icon "does nothing"

The other thing I tried was turning off the Win7 firewall completely (netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off) ... this had no effect so we set it back on

Re: Installed 2.2RC1 on Win7 with IE9 -> double-clicking the desktop icon "does nothing"

You have mentioned that it used to work fine with 2.0.2 IE8 and then you changed the default browser , was IE8 uninstalled before installing a new browser ? System Manager picks the default browser as the one to launch , just checking if here it is still pointing to IE 8 with which it was working earlier and now after you have changed default browser it is not able to understand it . One alternative that can be tried is ,can you please try installing IE 8 and see if 2.2RC1 launches ,if it launches successfully then you can click on tools-->options and there you have a option to change the browser path.

Regards,

Vinay

This looks like there is Java-6 installed and System Manager works for Java-7 only.

We can also see this issue when we have multiple Java versions installed & the Java-7 is not used by the system by default.

Can you verify using "java -version" from the command prompt also check in Control Panel >> Programs for the different Java Versions installed.

This issue can be resolved by uninstalling earlier Java & re-installing Java-7.

Hope this helps.