Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Linux and python support?

arndt

A customer of mine is asking if we plan to support Linux as the base OS for WFA, and if we plan to support python as a scripting language?  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yaronh

To complete the response for a correct answer (Rather than a helpful one :-))

Currently there are no immediate plans to add Python and/or Ruby support (Just added Perl).

However, the right customer may (or may not) convince us to add this to a future release.

Would appreciate if you'd share the  customer name internally.

Regards,

Yaron Haimsohn

WFA team

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

yaronh

Hi,

No, currently it is not planned. We utilize both the PoSH toolkit and the Perl one, with the PoSH considered the primary

(Most of our commands written on top of it).

Given it's Microsoft origin, a shift toward Linux based WFA is currently not planned.

Best,

Yaron Haimsohn

arndt

OK, thanks for the quick reply!

yaronh

Currently there are no immediate plans to add Python and/or Ruby support (Just added Perl).

However, the right customer may (or may not) convince us to add this to a future release.

Would appreciate if you'd share the  customer name internally.

Regards,

Yaron Haimsohn

WFA team

pwl
NetApp Alumni

Yaron Haimsohn wrote:

one could argue that a lack of linux support is not a "correct" answer  

...especially given that the underlying platform is jboss and mysql - i don't see a windows dependency there; the only dependency is powershell.

just an observation. not an indication of future support.

yaronh

As a unix veteran who miss his vi/sed/awk days I can only wish I could have added a star for "helpful answer" here 😉

hland

Well, Powershell is quite important for WFA so that's a very strong Windows dependency

To be honest, I don't care too much what the underlying OS is. And I have yet to see an enterprise customer that is not running at least some Windows servers (typically with a volume license from MS so cost is not an issue). Most of the time Windows is the dominant server platform for applications such as WFA. I personally would like Linux as well, and I know many admins at customers would like that, but those are not the people that make decisions on storage vendors, automation platforms, etc. As development and Q&A time is always limited, I'm voting for continious development of WFA features instead of investing time in support for another base OS

Same goes for Python. Keep it simple and limit the number of scripting languages that are supported. Right now a WFA architect already needs to know Powershell, SQL and MVEL/Java. With the addition of Perl, unix geeks should be satisified as well. Don't bloat WFA by adding more languages

Just my 0.2 cents

Hendrik

pwl
NetApp Alumni

here's my thinking re: linux  -   if we can make linux the platform, then we can ship WFA as a virtual appliance.

im(ns)ho virtual appliances are the best way to ship management tools - less frigging about required with operating system installations, etc.

even better would be if we can eventually ship a "netapp" virtual server "storage management platform"

this would keep all the other IT support groups (server, networking, windows support, etc) away from what are really tools for the storage admins/architects.   this can have a *big* impact on the ability to get equipment implemented at customer sites... i have one customer who can require up to *3 months* for a physical windows server install, and 6 weeks for a windows install on a VM - if the management tools were a "storage"\ device", we (netapp) could set it up along with the storage controllers in less than a week, including access & change control. 😕

Public