Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Looking for volume over allocation report

bader

Anyone now of  report o see if a volume is over allocated.

I trired the "volume Space Guarantees report" but that does not show me the volume is over allocated.

Basically for a test I have a 20 gig (non space reserved volume) and and 50 gig lun (non spaced reserved)  in that volume.

I am looking for a DFM report to show me I have over allocated the volume.

My whole envrionment is thin provisioned and as I grow, shrink volumes, and remove lunss etcc.... I want to make sure I do have a handle on whats allocated.   Over allocation of an aggreate is an easy report, but I need it on the volume level, if a Lun fills up and there is space in the volume, the lun stays online, but  you just can't write to it. In this case the system admin needs to deal with why they let the lun fill up.

However if a lun can't accept any more data because the voluem is full, the lun goes off line. A lun going offline can be catrostrophic, and that is my issue for having a lun go  offline.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

14 REPLIES 14

adaikkap

Hi Bob,

We dont have a volume overcommit report becasue of lun thin provisioning.

Currently we don have it only @ qtree level and aggr overcommit @ volume level.

May be we can create a script plugin to create a report of that sort.

Regards

adai

bader

Adai,

A script would be great, are scripts something I can do?  basically I just need a report of volume size compared to the space of luns in a volume.

adaikkap

Hi Bob,

Would the script with this columns suffice.

Volused VolAvailable VolTotal SumofTotalLunsize  Overcommit%?

Regards

adai

bader

Adai,

I think that would work, how does this get made?

Thanks

Bob

adaikkap

All these data is availble in the dfm db.

We will be creating a script plugin and a custom report to create one more column  and populate the new column, which would be

the sum of all lun size contained in the volume.

I will give you a script plugin by end of my day tomorrow.

Regards

adai

bader

Adai,

Just checking to see if you had a chance to get that script?

adaikkap

Will get you in a day or two.

regards

adai

bader

Adai,

Just wanted to check on a status?

Thanks

Bob

adaikkap

Should be able to get you this by tomorrow.

Regards

adai

bader

Any update?

tekaravind

Hello,

I am on leave till Monday, 7th September 2009. Please contact support@tek-tools.com for any assistance in the meantime, and I will attempt to respond to your email as soon as possible upon my return.

Regards,

Aravind

tanmoy

Hi Bob,

As Adai said we don't have volume-overcommitment report in DFM as of now, to address the LUN offline issue we can use volume autogrow of ONTAP. Set the autosize of the volume to a limit; e.g. set it to the total size of all the non-space reserved LUN. This way we can avoid that LUN offline issue provided aggregate has space to grow the volumes.

For autosize we have report on volume level:-

# dfm report view volumes-autosize-details 2203

Object ID Volume Filer/vFiler Autosize State Maximum Size Increment Size

bader

Tanmoy,

Isn't there a max size for volume auto grow?  if so this could be an issue?

Also,

This scenario could work, but I want to limit user error, so a report would really be helpful.

Bob

tanmoy

Bob,

As such there is no limit for max-size; we can set it to aggr size also, rather more than aggr size also; but it will be accounted in the aggr overcommitment calculations in DFM.

Actually the requirement which you described in reply to Adai's response; we have a volume Vs LUN used space graphical report in Provisioning Manager in DFM 3.8. Let me find out if we can get a CLI based report for the graphical re-presentation.

We will get back to you on that.

Thanks

Tanmoy

Public