Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Maximum number of Datasets allowed in Protection Manager?

reide

What is the maximum number of Datasets allowed in a single instance of Protection Manager?   I know that 400 have been tested, but I'm not sure if there is a hard limit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Earls,

Theoretically we dont have an hard limit. But the Number of datasets increase the load on the conformance, protection status and jobs scheduled. As you already know there is a limit to the # of concurrent scheduled jobs. Also the number of jobs is also decided by # of semaphore kernal thread available in the host OS in case of linux.

More the # of dataset also slows down UI response times when NMC is used, due to the associated status loading while listing the dataset.

Is there are reason why you would want to create move than 400 dataset. How many relationship are you trying to manange ?

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

smoot

No hard limit, it's all about performance and queuing delays. If you have more datasets that tends to cause more jobs to run and we start hitting limits on the number of jobs we will run simultaneously.

adaikkap

Hi Earls,

Theoretically we dont have an hard limit. But the Number of datasets increase the load on the conformance, protection status and jobs scheduled. As you already know there is a limit to the # of concurrent scheduled jobs. Also the number of jobs is also decided by # of semaphore kernal thread available in the host OS in case of linux.

More the # of dataset also slows down UI response times when NMC is used, due to the associated status loading while listing the dataset.

Is there are reason why you would want to create move than 400 dataset. How many relationship are you trying to manange ?

Regards

adai

reide

I just get asked this a lot by partners and customers. I wasn't sure if there was an upper limit on datasets. Thank you for the replies.

Public