Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Missing Options in Configuration Files

sbrack

Hi there,

recently I wanted to work with the configuration management offered by OnCommand Core / Operations Manager and pulled a configuration file from a controller running ONTAP 8.1. When editing the configuration file via Operations Manager I figured out that not all options available via CLI are included (e.g. cf.takeover.on_reboot).

Are some options intentionally hidden? Or are these options simply missing in the OC Core's template for ONTAP 8.1?

So long,

Seb

12 REPLIES 12

mjschneider

Bumping your question because of the following:

1. why are /etc/rc and /etc/hosts not included?
  2. OnCommand Pulls options.sftp but when i try and query those options from command line, they're missing.  Even tried under priv set advanced.

2 was answered in my other post. SFTP is not available in 8.0.x.

adaikkap

Hi

1. why are /etc/rc and /etc/hosts not included?

The general idea of Config Mgmt is to have standards for value that are common and can be shared. But in case of rc and host files there inst much to share. Esp in case of rc file its the ip address of the filer which will be different for all filers, so there inst much to share. Similary in case of host file its contains the IP and dns names which are different for each filer.

Can you explain me what is that you are looking to do by doing config mgmt of file or options which needs to be specific to each filer

Regards

adai

mjschneider

I understand what you're saying.  The problem is that NetApp offers no method(that im aware of) to check and/or verify /etc/rc and /etc/hosts file health, history and comparison with it's HA pair.

At least 80% of our failed fail-over attempts have been due to misconfigured /etc/rc and /etc/hosts files.  After multiple failures I've had to make it a habit to manually compare those two files between HA pairs prior to a maintenance, which doesn't just consist of comparing between the pair, but verifying all active interfaces, vifs etc.. exist in the rc file. 

Also, I actually have matching /etc/rc files between HA pairs (minus the hostname).  So matching configs between the two is absolutely critical in my environment.

OnCommand Config Mgmt just seems like a fitting place to offer some historical and automated checks between HA pairs... Perhaps this should be a separate function in config mgmt and not built-in to what already exists.  Maybe an additional area called HA or HA Pair Config Management?  If it could be intelligent enough to check that a filer's active configuration exists in /etc/rc and /etc/hosts that would save us a LOT of headaches.  It could also help restore faith in System Manager... when it's fixed.

I imagine a good comparision check could work like this:

HA pair1

• Compare /etc/rc (ignore hostname)
    • filer 1
      • Compare etc/rc with running config
      • Verify anything in /etc/rc with `hostname` has an entry in /etc/hosts
    • filer 2
      • Compare etc/rc with running config
      • Verify anything in /etc/rc with `hostname` has an entry in /etc/hosts

I did have time to review my post, let me know if this doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

Matt

aborzenkov

Have you looked at ConfigAdvisor (nee WireGauge)? It sounds like it does exactly what you need.

mjschneider

I have config advisor installed and only recently began using to check filer health.  I remember something about checking config files but a quick glance at it and i dont see any mention of /etc/rc or /etc/hosts... something in 3.0.1 maybe?

aborzenkov

There are a lot of /etc/rc and /etc/hosts (and other HA) checks described in Config Advisor 3.0 Installation and Administration Guide (Appendix A).

mjschneider

Thanks! I'll check out the guide.

adaikkap

Hi Matt,

What you are really looking for is for Cluster(HA) Configuration checker. You could either do this using the Check Configuration OnCommand/DFM  or a better and more enhanced tool is wire gauge.  Attached is screen shot on OC from where you can do this.

Regards

adai

mjschneider

Adai,

I've never noticed the "Storage Controller Tools"... Took me a while to figure out how to get that to show up but i found it. 

Thanks everyone, between the two tools I have a solution for sure.  If it didnt hijack this thread i'd mark as answered

adaikkap

BTW, here is the tool that I mentioned that does more than what OC does.

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/config_advisor/

Regards

adai

AGUMADAVALLI

Hi there:

There are bugs reported on the NetApp Site about system manager, if you make any changes to rc, config files, they may get corrupted and screw up your environment. Please make sure to use the cli interface.

thank you,

AK G

mjschneider

We're referring to Operations Manager AKA DFM, not Systems Manager.

/rant

For the record, i reported system manager causing /etc/rc and /etc/hosts file corruption late last year.  It was easy to replicate the issue even from a clean install of windows and yet, doesn't show up as a bug until now... bad bad bad.  There's also a corruption issue while using ssh to connect to RLM port to paste a config file using wrfile.

Public