Community

Subscribe
Highlighted

Monitor guest windows VM

Hello,

We have onCommand Balance v4.1.0.2 running in our lab and correctly monitoring physical servers and linux virtual machine guests but we are unable to monitor windows virtual machine running on the same vmware cluster despite having deployed the Balance proxy and making sure from the web Gui that nslookup is correctly resolving fqdn/ip of the virtual Windows guests.

We tried with different domain credentials and local accounts but still have error message : "server unreachable" and "unkown error".

We tried rediscovering virtual machine from the virtual center (vsphere 5.1) in Balance GUI but we the errors are still here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards

Re: Monitor guest windows VM

Hi,

I don't know the cause of the issue off-hand, but have you tried searching the Knowledge base on the Support site - support.netapp.com?  I know there are a lot of articles on troubleshooting collection issues.

Lisa

Hi,

Are the VMware tools installed?   Also, what O/S platform.  Windows 2k8, unix (linux, redhat solaris, AIX? ) kernal version (2.6 etc )

How Many Virtual centers are monitored?   Did you successfully Discover the vcenter(s)  Do the VM's show up under "unmonitored servers" list?

Best regards,

Don
OCI S&A team

Most likely this is related to a change in guest monitoring, made back in a 4.1 update. If you have any port filtering, or port 135 on the guests is closed, monitoring does not work fir those guests.

A not very good workaround is to open up port 135 on Windows (which exposes the Windows guest to other vulnerabilities). Or you can wait until Balance 4.1.1 is available on or out about August 16, we have re-engineered guest discovery to be more robust in the face of closed ports on the guest.

Hi Lisa,

I did check the knowledge base but was unable to find a specific KB related to my issue. Name resolution seems ok from the balance appliance and from the proxy.

Hi Don,

We have the vmware tools running inside the windows guest virtual machines. We are able to monitor, inside balance, Linux guest virtual machines (Suse and RedHat) running on the same VMware cluster. We have only one vCenter (v5.1) monitored inside Balance, the discovery went fine and we see virtual machines managed by the vCenter under "unmonitored servers".

Best regards

Hi Peter,

We don't have have any port filtering blocking access to the virtual guest on port 135 (no firewall in between or inside the host). I am able to telnet this port correctly.

Here is the extract of the jetty-service log on the Balance proxy showing an error :

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/07/31 10:12:05 | 151167375 [btpool0-31] ERROR com.akorri.bp.collectionserver.communication.WMI  - Proxy Output File Access Error occurred whilst executing command: cscript//nologo//t:900C:/Program Files (x86)/NetApp/Balance/work/collection-server/code/scripts/windows/WmiToXml.vbs. Description: Unable to determine IP address for Hostname/FQDN.

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/07/31 10:12:05 | 151167407 [btpool0-31] WARN  org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvocationTraceInterceptor  - Processing of HttpInvokerServiceExporter remote call resulted in fatal exception: com.akorri.bp.collectionserver.proxy.IProxyService.runCommands

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2013/07/31 10:12:05 | com.akorri.bp.collectionserver.exception.DeviceCommException: Proxy Output File Access Error occurred whilst executing command: cscript//nologo//t:900C:/Program Files (x86)/NetApp/Balance/work/collection-server/code/scripts/windows/WmiToXml.vbs.

As a sidenote, the Balance proxy is correctly resolving IP address and able to ping the guest virtual machines.

Did you find a resolution? i have the exact same Errormessages on two different Customer sites.

What I don't understand is that I have installed the same Balance version 2 weeks ago and it worked just out of the box.

If this is at a customer site, please open a support ticket. It is important to get the details to properly triage this.

We have fixed this problem related to MS Windows guest and server collection in the latest Balance 4.1.1 release. Please upgrade and report your results.