Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Moving an Aggregate from one Protection Manager Resource Pool to another

berks

Hi All,

I have a question about moving an aggregate from one Protection Manager Resource Pool to another Resource Pool.

My question is as follows:

I have Filer A with Resource Pool A.  I have Filer B with Resource Pool B.

In Resource Pool A, I have aggregates aggr1 and aggr2 and 200 PM SnapVault relationships.

In Resource Pool B, I have aggregates aggr3 and aggr4 and 2000 PM SnapVault relationships.

So Filer A has Resouce Pool A, and in this Pool aggr1 and aggr2.

Filer B has Resource Pool B, and in this Pool aggr3 and aggr4.

What happens if I want to swap the Resource Pools that aggr1 and aggr3 are in, in order to load balance the PM SnapVault Relationships?  I want aggr1 to be in Resource Pool B and aggr3 to be in Resource Pool A?  Can I do that? Will PM understand and make the appropriate modifications?

What happens if I want to create Resource Pool C, on Filer A and move aggr1 into this Resource Pool C?  What happens to the Protection Manager SnapVault relationships?  Do I have to do a level 0 backup or will Protection Manager understand what I'm trying to do and make the appropriate modifications?

What happens if I want to create Resource Pool C, on Filer A and move aggr3 (from Filer B) in this Resource Pool C?  What happens to the Protection Manager SnapVault relationships?  Do I have to do a level 0 backup or will Protection Manager understand what I'm trying to do and make the appropriate modifications?

Thanks again

Jeff

1 REPLY 1

smoot

Hi Jeff --

Changing which aggregates are in which resource pools won't cause Protection Manager to move volumes around or perform level 0 baselines of relationships.  We only look at the resource pool contents when we need to provision new storage.  Once we have a volume, we don't keep double checking that if we re-did the aggregate selection, the aggregate containing the volume is still a valid choice.

If you need to load or space balance by moving some secondary volumes between aggregates, we're considering a feature to implement that process in an upcoming release.  Perhaps we should talk to ensure we cover the case you're thinking about.

-- Pete

Public