Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp OnCommand Insight Reporting - Chargeback

CHAKRI_KALLU

Hi All,

How can we generate Charge back report using OnCommand Insight Reporting tool.

Thanks in advance.

-Kalyan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CHAKRI_KALLU

Thanks for responding Matt...!

#1. Do you have an existing chargeback model that you are looking to implement with OCI, or are you looking for help establishing a chargeback model for the first time?

We are trying to establish chargeback for the 1st time.

#2. What do you want to chargeback:

Block + NAS storage?

#3. Do you want to do your chargeback reporting out of OCI, or do you want OCI to feed another system?

I am not sure how can I answer, we have NetApp report tool. We would like that to be configured for Chargeback report.

We would like to see the demo. Please let us know what is required to setup a demo session.

Thanks,

Kalyan guturi.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ostiguy

Carefully.

Ahem.

This is a fairly big topic. Some questions:

#1. Do you have an existing chargeback model that you are looking to implement with OCI, or are you looking for help establishing a chargeback model for the first time?

Block storage only?

Block + NAS storage?

Block + NAS storage + VM?

#3. Do you want to do your chargeback reporting out of OCI, or do you want OCI to feed another system?

The reasons I ask these questions:

#1. OCI has a Chargeback data mart that has some preconceived notions on how to do chargeback, however, you are not necessarily married to use of this approach - we have some customers who want to pro-rate billing at the host level - i.e, host X supports 17 applications - charge each application's business unit 1/17th of the host's capacity. Our data warehouse is a pretty robust solution that can often answer questions in ways we haven't thought about.

#2. When we think about the different aspects of block vs nas vs VM, it can help inform how we will deploy OCI, and what metadata, or "annotations" will be required.

OCI has a well thought out annotation functionality - you can label luns, flexvols, hosts, VMs, etc with "Data Center", "Application" , "Business Unit", etc - some customers want to chargeback each VM's owner for the allocated size of the VMDKs. Some shops simply want to chargeback LUNs.

#3. OCI has a enterprise class business intelligence platform, but some customers have existing billing platforms. I have a customer that was looking to do comprehensive IT chargeback, but had a massing NAS flexvol / VMDK / LUN capacity reporting + business owner gap. We worked with them in a POC to show them how to discover, and label their assets, and then extract the data feeds they were looking for via SQL to populate their billing platform that will additionally include other feeds that OCI will never address - such as datacenter rack units, etc.

We'd love to do a chargeback focused demo for you, 60 minutes would do it justice. I will follow up with you via PM.

Matt

CHAKRI_KALLU

Thanks for responding Matt...!

We are trying to establish chargeback for the 1st time.

Block + NAS storage?

I am not sure how can I answer, we have NetApp report tool. We would like that to be configured for Chargeback report.

We would like to see the demo. Please let us know what is required to setup a demo session.

Thanks,

Kalyan guturi.

ostiguy

Hey Kalyan - send me an email at

ostiguy at netapp dot com

And we can get a demo lined up

Matt

Public