Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

NetApp System Manager 1.x - Performance Read Latency counters

daniel_kaiser

Someone told me that the Read Latency (msec) in the Performance view is in microseconds and not milliseconds.  Is this correct?  I always assumed msec was the abbreviation for milliseconds.

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bipulm

Hello Dan,

This is true that Read Latency(msec) in Performance view is in microseconds.

Thanks,

Bipul

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bipulm

Hello Dan,

This is true that Read Latency(msec) in Performance view is in microseconds.

Thanks,

Bipul

bipulm

Hello Dan

Few more information on this thread:

counter unit of  "Read Latency" for NFS, CIFS and ISCSI are in milliseconds and for others like I/O memory it is in microseconds.

This is applicable for latest ONTAP version.

Thanks,

Bipul

jasonthoms

I about fell out of my chair this morning after upgrading System Manager 1.0 to 1.1 and getting the new Read Latency scale.

6,037 msec in this world is 6,037 milliseconds of latency. And knowing that about seventy VMs including SQL and Exchange clusters are sitting on this... yes, I almost fell out of my chair.

Then, I find that in NetApp World - msec actually means microseconds, but only in this graph on this app.

Seriously guys... please use the Mu so that it reads μsec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsecond

amritad

Hi

We have a public beta going on for SM 2.0. Could you please take a look and provide feedback? Here’s the link to the public beta

http://communities.netapp.com/groups/netapp-system-manager-20-public-beta?view=overview

Regards

Amrita

paul_carpenter

By all means tell me if I am wrong but having compared the latency figures for CIFS and NFS it appears obvious that someone has coded the graph wrong so that CIFS are showing on the graph in milliseconds whilst NFS is still showing in microseconds.

My guess is that someone applied a division by 1000 to CIFS, etc but not to NFS.

Does anyone at NetApp have access to the code that can check this out. In it's current layout it makes monitoring CIFS from the Systems Manager interface impossible.

Cheers

Paul

amritad

Hi Paul,

SM 2.0 fixes the problem. You could try out our public beta (on non production environments) to take a look at that

Regards

Amrita

paul_carpenter

True to your word. Works well, a much better interface.

Regards,

Paul

Public