Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OC System Manager Works Once

jasonthoms

I've had a consistent problem with OCSM 2.0R1 that I have to ask if anyone else is having this.

I've installed OCSM 2.0R1 on a Windows 7 64bit desktop, Windows XP 32bit desktop, and a Windows 2003 R2 32bit server and all have the same issue. It works once when I log in for the first time - but then any time after that I get a spinning wheel with "Loading systems" on the management page. My systems never apear again.

I'm not quite sure how to continue with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kryan

These behaviors might possibly be related and are being investigated under bug 546876.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

jasonthoms

I am able to re-connect by clearing the cached credentials and re-discover the three NetApp appliances on my network, so that's something!

johnwagner

I tried clearing the credentials as well as changing modes in IE (compatibility on and off and then on) none of its worked for me.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  Updating JAVA, and trying firefox and nothing works yet.  It did work for me when i first installed it about a week ago but now it wont work and does the same spinning wheel with loading systems.

karthikv

Can you do the following and then try to login to the system using System Manager ?

filer> options ssl.enable off

filer> secureadmin setup ssl

filer> options ssl.enable on

2. Remove the system from System Manager Interface and add it again

-Karthik

radnorsan

I'm having the same issue.  I opened up a ticket with NetApp and spent an hour and a half explaining that it is not DFM I am having a problem with.  They are going to do more research and give a call back.  Did you ever find a solution?  I will post back here when I hear from them.

As a test, I installed OCSM 2.0R1 on my laptop and so far it is working fine.  My desktop continues to hang at "Loading Systems".

@karthikv - I can't get into system manager in the first place to remove anything.

-Chris

radnorsan

Jason -

I found a thread on the communities here that referenced the same problem for Mac computers.  The solution was to delete the systemmanager.config file.  I located the file at C:\Users\<profilename>\NetApp\SystemManager\SystemManager.config and renamed it, as well as the backup config file.  I re-launched OCSM and all my storage systems came back.

I have a ticket open with NetApp and just informed them of what I found.

- Chris

kryan

Please post the case #.

Thanks,

Kevin

radnorsan

Kevin -

Thanks.  Case number is 2002622802.

For what it's worth, I haven't been getting far with support.  They keep insisting I run the Nsanity tool against the "server", while I keep trying to explain there is no server and it's installed on my workstation.

Thanks for looking into it.

Chris

kryan

I see that from the case notes.  We will need data, although I think support bundle should suffice.

radnorsan

Attached is the original SystemManager.log file from when it first started happening.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, each time deleting the folder(s) left behind.  Also attached is the zipped support bundle generated by OCSM.  However, at this point, OCSM is working.  While OCSM was hanging at "loading systems", trying to generate a support log bundle would generate an error and crash my IE.  Sorry, I don't have a screen shot of the error message.  Please let me know if you need any more info or data.

Chris

johnwagner

I found the solution.

THe issue is the username and password are saved in the configuration file (IN PLAIN TEXT!!!) and the next time you run oc system manager for whatever reason it has problems parsing that into the console and fails to login and ends up sitting there and spinning with the loading bs.

The way i fixed it was to delete the config and the next time you login DO NOT SAVE YOUR INFO, UNCHECK THAT BOX..

Once you do that you will log in without issue. 

Not sure why in the heck netapp saves the username and password in clear text but that is a big NO NO! In any event try that and let me know if it works for you.

Its a pain to have to login each and every time but hey I dont want my credential info in a text file.. (Does netapp tell its employees to write their passwords on sticky notes and post on their monitors?)   

jasonthoms

Good find John. I can reproduce that, as well.

Jebus... what a crackpot freshmeat coding mistake that is. Give that coder a free subscription to AOL and send him/her on their way.

I'd also like to wag a big finger at the beta testing team. Security much?

kryan

OCSM 2.0R1 on my system is not behaving this way - the usernames and passwords are encrypted.

Which versions are in use where they are stored in plain text?

If you clear the passwords (Tools -> Options -> Clear existing passwords) does this behavior still happen?

radnorsan

I agree with Kevin.  My system is not doing that either.  If I open the config file, username and password is encrypted.

marz

John/Jason

Was the 2.0R1 install an upgrade or a clean install?

If an upgrade to 2.0R1, can you provide the history of the upgrade path?

Was there a beta of 2.0 involved in this?

Are either of you willing to display this observed behavior on a WebEx?

I have a 2.0 install on an XP host and a 2.0R1 install on OSX and observe that in the SystemManager.config file these keys:

<user-name><<65characterstring>></user-name>

<password><<65characterstring>></password>

Neither of the 65characterstrings are plain text passwords and the values change if i close a controller tab and reopen the tab.

jasonthoms

It was an upgrade from beta -> 2.0 -> 2.0R1. And I, too also used System Manager 1.0 -> 1.1 prior to that on Windows 7 64bit.

To be fair, I should have removed them all and tried again before posting a response that may have caused false alert. I have uninstalled and deleted the NetApp folder from my profile. Reinstalled OC SM 2.0R1 and it appears that the username and passwords are stored in a SystemManager.ks file which is encrypted.

kryan

Chris,

If you still have those config files (before and after) I woudl like to see them.  I have sent my email address to you.

Thanks,

Kevin

jasonthoms

I spoke too soon. The five NetApp controllers were cached but my username and password were not.

Now the config file contains my plain text password. I have a suspicion it's failing to encrypt it because it ends with a special character (I'll give you a hint, it's typed with shift + a number key) which then breaks the XML format of the config file in some way.

Where your config file shows:

<password>encryptedpassword</password>

Mine shows (note the missing </ 😞

<password>plaintextpassword password>

My username does not contain a special character and appears to be properly encrypted.

kryan

I am unable to reproduce this behavior using OCSM 2.0R1 and filer passwords ending in the characters below.

Please elaborate on how you are getting into this condition.

! ==> normal behavior

@ ==> normal behavior

# ==> normal behavior

$ ==> normal behavior

% ==> normal behavior

^ ==> normal behavior

& ==> normal behavior

* ==> normal behavior

( ==> normal behavior

) ==> normal behavior

kryan

I was able to get similar behavior one time by removing the config file, reopening OCSM, and then entering a password that ended in "^".  Doing this produced a config file with most of the password in plain text - the last character was a NUL.  So most of the password was entered in plain text.  The username was still encrypted. 

However, repeating those same steps did not reprodice the exact same result. 

johnwagner

Okay,

I turned on password caching and entered my password.  (Just an fyi it meets windows strick password requirements) I will NOT post the password nor will I share it but suffice it to say it is a mixture of upper case and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters.

So for an example something like this:  TE@st*23A3i%

When i view the C:\Users\username\NetApp\SystemManager\SystemManager.config file in either notepad or using visual studio, i see the password in plain text.  The entire password minus the end special character..

here's an example of what i see in notepad.. (The password has been changed)

<password>TE@st*23A3i password>

there is a character after the i,  the %  is hidden..

When i view in visual studio tool, there is no space between the i and p in password.

Public