Subscribe
Accepted Solution

OCUM Alerts vs Auto-Grow

[ Edited ]

I am considering a configuration change as follows:

Set FlexVols to auto-grow at 90%

Set OCUM Alert for Volume Almost Full to 92%

Set OCUM Alert for Volume Full to 95%

This keeps OCUM from alerting until the auto-grow feature has reached its Max Autosize limit and I know that when OCUM triggers an alert that its time to investigate.

As we have it setup now...

FlexVols auto-grow at 98%

OCUM alerts for Volume Almost Full to 90%

OCUM alerts for Volume Full to 95%

So we're seeing alerts before autogrow has a chance to do its job... e-mail "white noise" at best.

My questions for the group:

Is my proposed configuration above a wise approach or does it set me up for something bad down the line?

Have you found a more practical configuration to balance auto-grow with volume capacity alerting?

I plan to resize those volumes that are already at/above 90% prior to modifying the volumes - rather than change the threshold and have Ontap resize the first time.

Thank you for any replies!

Greg

Re: OCUM Alerts vs Auto-Grow

Hi Greg,

That seems like a reasonable approach to me however it really depends on the rate of change in your environment.

One solution you might consider is to have an OCUM alarm which can have a script attached to it where you can call a WFA workflow that will automatically increase the volume size when an OCUM event is generated.

https://community.netapp.com/t5/OnCommand-Storage-Management-Software-Discussions/Unified-Manager-6-3-Alert-scripts/td-p/116507

I'd use volume auto-grow as the default method to increase your flexvol size and the above method as a catch all fail safe method for rapidly expanding volumes.

As long as you are monitoring your aggregate capacity to ensure suffient space is available as the volumes increase.

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.