Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OM CPU report and alarm inaccurate on new hardware platforms

dgreg

Dear NetApp Community,

The current OM CPU alarm and report takes it's value from the ANY1+ counter in Data ONTAP, as does sysstat -x 1.   On multi-processor /  multi-core storage systems such as the FAS6210A storage system which has eight processing cores, the OM CPU threshold is often breached (95%) causing undue concern to customers when OM issues an alarm. ANY1+ exceeds 95% when processes such as deduplication kick in. However when you look at the output of sysstat -M, each individual processor cores isless than 50% utilized, and processing domains are not stretched.

My question is to the OnCommand UM experts - is there a more intelligent way to monitor CPU utilization and produce an alarm or report when a threshold on an individual processor or core is breached? Thus far I can't see how to do this in OnCommand UM 5.0.2 or 5.1, which have great customized reporting capabilities but not for performance counters as far as I can see.

Thanks in advance.

Greg Davis

PSC, ASEAN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

Hi Davis,

The value show in OnCommand for cpu utilization is the value return by snmp which includes all processors. If you would like to have individual processors cpu utilization, pls take a look at the Performance Advisor which gives the breakdown at individual processor level.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

adaikkap

Hi Davis,

The value show in OnCommand for cpu utilization is the value return by snmp which includes all processors. If you would like to have individual processors cpu utilization, pls take a look at the Performance Advisor which gives the breakdown at individual processor level.

Regards

adai

dgreg

Hi Adai,

Thanks for your email and reply. Yes I agree, I've now found out how to set up a Threshold and Alarm for per processor CPU utilization in Performance Advisor, which is a much more useful counter to user for multicore / multiprocessor storage controllers.

Cheers,

Greg Davis

NetApp PSC, ASEAN

Public