Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand 5.0 Browser support

mharding

The new NetApp OnCommand 5.0 is a powerful and versatile storage manager for NetApp systems, just released last week, and already getting widely used as well as tweeted about.  One of the questions coming up is about Browser support.

The initial release supports a few popular browser versions, but not every browser out there.  Here are the ones along with related usage notes:

• Windows Internet Explorer, version 8 -- You must disable the Compatibility View feature in Windows Internet Explorer 8 prior to launching the OnCommand console. For details, see the Microsoft support site.
  • Mozilla Firefox, versions 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6 -- The Firefox browser is not supported on Linux hosts. You can install and run DataFabric Manager server on a Linux workstation or server, but you must launch the OnCommand console GUI using the Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox browser on a Windows system.

Reply with any questions or comments about our browser support.  Thanks for using the new NetApp OnCommand!

19 REPLIES 19

adaikkap

Based on our Sizing and testing we found FireFox to be better than IE in most cases

Though the difference is less than .5x or even below.

Regards

adai

f_duranti

It would be really nice to see support at least for latest version of firefox: with version 6 to be released soon and 7 in alpha, 8 in nightly build and a now really fast release cycle it would be nice too not have too much restriction on the browser. I'm currently using on nightly without any problem but the warning coming out every time to warn of the unsupported browser.

It would be also nice to see support for IE9.

Francesco

mark_schuren

Most of my customers argue, they refuse to migrate to DFM 5 because the lack of browser support...

They liek the new UI. But they definitely want/need to use Opsmgr via Chrome, iPad, Firefox 3-8 (incl. Linux!!), IE9 etc.

Is it really necessary to create a new shiny major release of a WEB BASED management software that rules out 90% of web browsers?? Most IT guys (including me) find it really annoying...

IMHO this is also true for the new System Manager 2.0 release... Very nice GUI, very nice tool, but very limited use for many admins...

Just my 2 cents,

Cheers

Mark

michaeldparker

I entirely agree with Marks statement; It doesn't make sense to not support the most widely used browsers amoung IT users.  I decided to gamble though and it seems to work fine in Firefox 7.  I get the annoying popup evertime telling me that my browser is not support, but if there are any incompatibiliites, I have not run across them yet.

Michael

mark_schuren

Did you also manage to get it working on firefox *on linux*?

michaeldparker

I have not tried it on Linux yet, but I'm thinking that'll probably fail for sure.  If I get a few minutes, I'll try though and report back.

Michael

mark_schuren

Don't waste your time - it fails

michaeldparker

Yes, that’s what I figured … we’re predominantly Windows here, but I do like Linux.

mark_schuren

From my point of view many storage admins have some kind of linux management server. Some also have DFM server running on linux...

I really like the new GUI, but the browser/platform limitation really makes no sense to me.

> Mozilla Firefox, versions 3.0, 3.5, and 3.6 -- The Firefox browser is not supported on Linux hosts. You can install and run DataFabric Manager server on a Linux workstation or server, but you must launch the OnCommand
> console GUI using the Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox browser on a Windows system.

@ OC devs: Are there any plans to change this?

smoot

When I tried Firefox 4, I found the report viewing screens did not work. YMMV. I believe that's indicitive of why browser version support is limited: in theory HTML/CSS/Javascript/Flash should be OS and browser independent, that turns out to be less true in practice. And it's true enough that you could be lulled into thinking it all works only to be surprised in some odd corner of the GUI.

So, of course go ahead and try other browsers. If the pieces you need work, that's fabulous. If you find a piece not working, please switch to a supported browser first before opening a support call.

fenton

If the lack of browser support is holding you back from moving or considering moving to OnCommand 5 I would implore that you register that issue below - I will make sure it gets to the right peoples attention.

If you are a partner or employee and would rather not list your customer names on a community forum then please feel free to email me directly at fenton@netapp.com - it would be very useful to state which browsers you see as your current or likely future standards

pascalduk

I just started reading the requirements. I can't believe how limited the browser support is and also how relative ancient the browsers are.

For me it is therefore not possible to move to oncommand 5.0.

michaeldparker

It is a shame about the browser support but if it makes you

feel better, it will work with new browsers. I have only found one tab that does not work with an Unsupported browser. It is a reporting tab. In addition, what I have done is installed an old copy of Firefox to an alternate directory just for use with oncommand.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone

ns

pascalduk

I have been testing OnCommand 5.0 and have not found any issues with FF 8.0 yet. So the browser support does not look to be an issue for me. It is only annoying to see the supported browser warning each time.

johnwagner

I'm a customer and I have problems with oncommand system manager actually working. I installed it several days ago and at first it was working okay.  However now here I am a week later and it does not work at all.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing I've tried helps.

The issue I'm having is with either IE8 or Firefox on windows 7, the interface just sits there at the loading systems display.. it never finishes and just continues to say loading systems.

As far as functionality, I don't want a shiny new product if it doesn't actually support all the features that I need. A shiny turd is still a turd.

mharding

John - I sorry you are having a bad initial expereince with OnCommand unified manager. It sounds like you may have an issue beyond just the browser. Can you open a support ticket so someone can help you troubleshoot it?  Thanks,  Mike H.

karthikv

Can you do the following and then try to login to the system using System Manager ?

filer> options ssl.enable off

filer> secureadmin setup ssl

filer> options ssl.enable on

2. Remove the system from System Manager Interface and add it again

-Karthik

columbus_admin

Can we get a "Don't show me this again" screen for the browser/OS warning? 

I don't want to see this six or more times per day as support for Firefox 3.6 seems tenuous at best.

- Scott

lsaki_apple

+1 Really need to have More browser support for Linux, MacOS. We can't upgrade from 4.0 till we have that. Thx.

Public