Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

OnCommand 5.0 installation issue

lyndonfrei

Hi

Was excited over OnCommand getting released before schedule because this promises to bring SMHV Snapvault capability. But maybe too early?

Installing the Core Package on my recently set up DFM server worked flawlessly. But now I'm having trouble installling the the Host Package on the first of a 3-node Hyper-V cluster getting no usable information from the installer that suddenly rolls back after about 20minutes of installing. The MSI logfile as only source for what's going on is huge and I can't seem to find the culprit.

Altough I find the documentation quite lacking I followed all the requirements to no avail and of course beeing so new there's nothing yet in the Knowledgebase.

Moreover my SnapManager for Hyper-V backups on the cluster now fails on this first node and Snapdrive can't list connected LUNs anymore.

Has somebody else started OnCommand 5.0 implementation (testing)?

I've attached the msi-log file if anybody cares to have a look...

Kind regards

Lyndon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lyndonfrei

Hey everybody

Just wanted to let you know that everything worked out now. After uninstalling SD and SMHV and then installing OnCommand Host Package all Host Services including the cluster name were registered and authorized in the OnCommand console and the first snapshot backup ran successfully last night, consisting of 27 VMs distributed over three CSVs!

Now I ough out figure out configuring the automatic transfer of the snapshots from primary to secondary via SnapVault.

Although NetApp persists on the simplicity of policy-driven management, I find the dependencies between schedules, datasets, resourcepools, storage services and protection schedules quite complex.

But thats another topic...

Thank you everybody for trying to help with my issue!

Kind regards

Lyndon

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

arunchak

HI,

If there is an existing VSC 2.x installation on a different system but registered to the same vCenter Server, an error message appears that the VSC software is already registered.

You must stop the                 OnCommand Plug-in for VMware or NetApp vSphere Plugin Framework service by opening the Services dialog box via the Windows start menu.

If you have SMVI installed in different machine, stop the SMVI services, install Host Package on different system. Once the installation is complete you can start the SMVI service again. Try this out.

However, if you try installing Host package on the same server (upgrade) where SMVI is installed, host package will prompt to stop the SMVI services temporarily and would automatically start the service after installation is complete.

Thanks,

Arun.

peter_lehmann

Hi Malar

So, there is a "new" VSC/SMVI bundled into the Host Package?

Peter

pmalar

Hi Peter,

The Host Package contains the following components.

OnCommand Plug-in for VMware

A client application used to centrally manage your virtual infrastructure from the vSphere Client. The OnCommand Plug-in for VMware includes the Monitoring and Host Configuration, Provisioning and Cloning, and Backup and Recovery capabilities. It also includes the Legacy Backup and Recovery capability, which enables you to recover data from backups created before the introduction of OnCommand management software.
OnCommand host service VMware plug-in
A plug-in that receives and processes events in a VMware environment, including discovering, restoring, and backing up virtual objects such as virtual machines or datastores. This plug-in executes the events received from the host service.
Host service
Software that enables the DataFabric Manager server to forward requests, such as the request for a restore operation, to the appropriate plug-in and to send the final results of the specified job to that plug-in.

Host service Windows PowerShell cmdlets

Cmdlets that perform virtual object discovery, local restore operations, and host configuration when the DataFabric Manager server is unavailable.

Regards,

Malar.

beverley

Hi Lyndon,

Now that you've resolved the installation issue (I didn't want to bother you with this request while you were working on the problem), I wanted to ask if you would be willing to provide feedback on the installation guide.

In your original post, you stated that the documentation is "quite lacking". Could you provide specifics about what you expected to find that you didn't, as well as any other comments you might have?

I posted the book as the OnCommand 5.0 Install & Setup Guide in the Documents section of this Community. I'd appreciate if you would post comments there. User input is invaluable in helping us improve the documentation.

Thanks!

Beverley

lyndonfrei

Hello Beverly

Will gladly do so!

Kind regards

Lyndon

leongkoklow

Hi Anyone know where I can DL the onhost exe as toolchest has blocked it..! And I am stuck with OnCommand installation.

Public