Subscribe
Accepted Solution

OnCommand Compatibility with Windows 8

I am curious about the schedule for providing OnCommand System Manager compatibility with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. I may well have missed something obvious, so please accept my apologies if this has been answered already.

Thank you,

donaldc

Re: OnCommand Compatibility with Windows 8

Hi Donald,

Not that I know of. BTW when is Windows 8 scheduled for release ? May come in System Manager release aligned with it.

Regards

adai

Hi Adai,

Thank you for your response. RTM for Windows 8 was 1st August, but general availability will be from 26th October.

Regards,

donaldc

I'm testing Windows 8 RTM (demo version for 90 days), and what I see is Windows can't connect to Netapp 2040 (that is running OnTap 8.0.2).

I don't know what's happening here, but everytime I write "\\netapp\folder" I got a typical Windows error network message telling that he is not able to connect.

Updated: the solution can be found here:

http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2012/04/windows-8-consumer-preview-cannot-acces-netapp-cifs-share/

Just a quick update to note that the most recent version of System Manager (Version 2.0 (2.0.2)) now plays nicely with Windows 8 RTM and IE10.

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

donaldc

I've installed Version 2.0.2 but it's not working. I just see a dos box and a new java.exe Task but nothing happens. Can anyone help?

I can also confirm that I have tried nearly every compatibility setting imaginable and have yet to get 2.02 working with Windows 8.  I am using the Pro RTM version.  If anyone has gotten this to work can you please provide instructions on how you were able to do so?  Also what version of Java you are running may be helpful as well.

I thank anyone in advance who can give me a lead on this.

-Cori

Also confirmed, it simply is not compatible with IE 10 on Windows 8. I would hope that NetApp is working on it since Windows 8 is now publicly available, and also since it's only compatible with Internet Explorer for some odd reason.

Hi

The SM 2.x line is not currently qualified with Windows 8. We are working on Windows 8 qualification with future releases. However we do have some customers who are using 2.0.2 with Windows 8.

Regards

Amrita

Did a little more testing on Windows 8 today, and what I've found is that the "Add" or "Login" buttons do not work. To add your NetApp systems to System Manager, you have to use the "Discover" feature. You also cannot move the pop-up windows for features like Edit, Resize, Storage Efficiency, Snapshot Copies, etc... around, they are glued directly in the middle of the IE10 frame, regardless of the Compatability settings you choose.

So does it work, Yes, but with some features/options non-functional, but not non-functional like the Network Interfaces area, which was disabled by NetApp themselves due to a bug.