Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Oncommand/ Operations Manager Slow after upgrade to 5

peter1965

Hi I upgraded to oncommand 5 and ops manager/dfm is so-ooooo - slooooow now... (Not to mention it does't work with newer browsers)

What about the rest of you. Have you noticed this to be unresponsive when going through the web pages etc? If so what dod you do to reolve or is it just me?

41 REPLIES 41

adaikkap

Hi Peter,

There are two things that happen after upgrade to 5.0. Which were added as part of some house keeping of the database and the perfdata files.

After upgrade to 5.0, the job history of protection Mgr/Backup Mgr are deleted//purge from the db beyond 90days. Which was not the case until 5.0.

Same way the perfdata files are compacted on a weekly basis to remove data for stale volume in dfm db.

Both these process are quite intensive on the first run due to the amount of data that needs to be purged/compacted. But once this first run finishes, it will improve your performance and recurring cleaning/house keeping will not have any impact.

Regards

adai

peter1965

I upgraded a couple months ago and it’s been horrible since. So I am not entirely sure what I am supposed to do now.. Are you saying purge all old historical data?

adaikkap

Hi Peter,

What is the OS flavor of your DFM server  ? Are you seeing this sluggishness in OnCommand Console or even in Operations Manager Console and NetApp Management console too ?

If its been 2 months since upgrade then its not due to what I mentioned above.

Regards

adai.

peter1965

Windows 2008 SP2 x64 4GB RAM and 1 vCPU (it’s a VM). This ran fine before the upgrade and currently the performance counters seem to be bored.

The on command console is sluggish when I go for reporting information etc and when I want to view events etc its take about 40- 80 seconds to bring up a page (that’s what the counter shows in the lower right) And as you may know it doesn’t work well with IE9.

adaikkap

Hi Peter,

Can you increase your RAM and CPU ? and tell us if you see any difference ? Also as you would have seen in the pop up during launch that only IE 8 is supported and not 9.

How big is your environment ? What all functionality are you using like, Protection Performance etc ?

Regards

adai

peter1965

I don’t see adding more resources would make a difference. I am monitoring 6 nodes. I like to look at reporting and performance data.

Here are some current performance on the virtual machine without increasing RAM. I know that would be the easiest thing to assume and already thought of it myself. But I have to ask why as the memory it has now isn’t being fully utilized.

neric

Hey Peter,

I would probably agree with your assessment of your memory allocation - it seems to be more than sufficient.  It might be worth throwing in another CPU.  Even though your single core does not seem to be overloaded, I have found that even two cores allow for more parallel processing and can speed things up.

Eric

peter1965

Well folks no difference with that as suspected. Anyone have anything else? Perhaps I should build a linux version of this and migrate the db to the new linux oncommand server?

adaikkap

Hi Peter,

Generally response time of OnCommand is better with FireFox and Linux. Change and let us know your experience.

Regards

adai

peter1965

Change ?

I appreciate you offering a suggestion but I need a solution.

STEVE_SHALA

Our first NetApp was just installed last week and have a brand new install of the latest version of the OnCommand software on my VERY fast workstation (Dual Xeon dual core processors, 12GB RAM and SSD HD) and OnCommand is painfully slow.   The engineer that installed our NetApp said he it should not be that slow.

peter1965

AHA!!!!!!! So its not only me!!!! Why don’t more people chat about this.. we can’t be the only chumps ☺ So iw ill assume 5.1 will be coming out soon..

stjerna

Hi Steve,

Just a quick question, when you refer to OnCommand, is this OnCommand System Manager?

Reason I ask is OnCommand is a whole family of NetApp management products and this thread is regarding a server based product, not something you would run on your workstation.

System Manager's performance  has it's own thread in the communities forum: https://communities.netapp.com/message/70736#70736

If your comment not regarding System Manager, please disregard this post.

Regards,

Erik

STEVE_SHALA

You are correct...being very new to NetApp I just looked and I have OnCommand System Manager.  I'll head over to the other thread. 

Thanks!

aborzenkov

OnCommand System Manager became far more responsive in 2.0.1. So if you experience slowness, it is probably due to lack of name resolution.

STEVE_SHALA

That was the issue!  We put the NetApp managment interfaces on our managment network which traditionally we only access via IP addresses.  I added the two entries in my local hosts file and now the software is very responsive.  Thanks!

peter1965

For "system manager" which is the gui to manage the filers... But the orginial post I created here by mistake in the wrong section has to do with operations manager and dfm (data fabric manager) version 5.

USMANBUTT

Any luck with this? OnCommand is running real slow for me as well on a VM with 6 vCPU and 6GB RAM.

peter1965

Nope.

stjerna

Peter,

I was working with a customer that had a similar issue. Started a communities thread https://communities.netapp.com/thread/21314

Some things that were tested is in that thread.

The issue was ultimately solved by NetApp support, a Support Engineer ran a WebEx session with the customer and tweaked the configuration.

So if you haven't already, I'd recommend that you create a support case.

Regards,

Erik

Public