Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Oncommand/ Operations Manager Slow after upgrade to 5

peter1965

Hi I upgraded to oncommand 5 and ops manager/dfm is so-ooooo - slooooow now... (Not to mention it does't work with newer browsers)

What about the rest of you. Have you noticed this to be unresponsive when going through the web pages etc? If so what dod you do to reolve or is it just me?

41 REPLIES 41

peter1965

Way ahead of you we have a case open with them and is going on a few weeks and still no solution.

USMANBUTT

I have been through all those settings and nothing seems to improve the performance. I am especially having issues with managing datasets. Its painstakingly slow!

kryan

Is OnCommand performance slow only via the NMC or via the web UI and command line as well?  If all are slow, reduce your vCPU count to one or two.  If only the NMC, ensure that you have a good network connection between the NMC system and the OnCommand server (latency, ttl, etc) - I am assuming you are running the NMC remotely since the recommendation from the installation guide.

Regarding the vCPU recommendation, I will quote a previous post from another thread:

https://communities.netapp.com/message/79035#79035

Since you said you have 6CPU, can you check if you are hitting the vmware problem ?

Determining if multiple virtual CPUs are causing performance issues

peter1965

I have tried all the resource tuning suggestions. Network connectivity is great. I even tried from the actual server as well.

I also storage motioned it off to a FC datastore from NFS.

peter1965

Yes – I have tried all of that as well. Look how slow the page loads for me when I click on a Group:

This is the “typical” or more for me now..

kryan

To confirm, you have already reduced the VM to 1 or 2 vCPUs?

peter1965

It was at 1. I increased to 2. No difference in performance

peter1965

Ok dug deeper.. and RESOLVED it..

This is what I did I saw some posts about ldap.. which to me made sense as the authentication was also slow and mentioned to support.

What I found when running the dfm ldsap list command is that the DC’s that it was pointing to no longer exists. I removed the old and added new domain controller info and now the page return in under 2 seconds!

On the console cli of the dfm server

I typed dfm ldap list and noticed the wrong servers (no longer exist)

I added 3 new domain controllers to the list with the dfm ldap app command

And deleted the old entries with dfm ldap delete command

USMANBUTT

That's great! I am still facing the same issues.

Peter, can you add/delete some datasets under the dataset tab and let me know what kind of speed you are seeing?

I have tried changing the vCPU's, getting same slow performance.

peter1965

It worked fine.

Are you aware of any domain controllers on your location that are no longer valid? (that was my issue)

USMANBUTT

I checked the DC's already and they are fine.

It takes over 60 seconds and finally times out for me when I am adding new datasets.

peter1965

What data sets are you trying to add ? From vmware, hyper v or ?

USMANBUTT

VMware datasets. I am constantly getting the message that the operation is taking more than 60 seconds to complete.....

I am finally able to add them in, but it just takes too long and I have to try multiple times.

peter1965

OK let me ask this.. What version is your vcenter? (4 or 5)

USMANBUTT

vCenter is 5.

Initially when I add the dataset, it throws a similar message as mentioned below after which I have to edit the dataset again, specify the backup policy, add in the datastore that needs to be backed up and then again I get a similar message:

==MESSAGE==

Requested operation did not complete in 95 seconds.

This could be due to network latency or server problems.

The operation is still running and may succeed or fail later.

You may refresh the screen to see the result of the operation

On hitting OK, I see the dataset added with the proper policy.

peter1965

OK I thought it was this…

Snippet from the install guide:

Before you begin

Important: Before installing OnCommand Host Package 1.1, ensure that vSphere 5.0 is installed

on your vCenter server. If you install OnCommand Host Package and an earlier version of vSphere

is installed on your vCenter server, you will need to manually re-configure your datasets when you

upgrade to vSphere 5.0.

USMANBUTT

I am just adding new datasets to OnCommand. Trying to move away from SMVI.

USMANBUTT

While creating the dataset, the "test conformance" takes a while too. Are you seeing similar results?

peter1965

Sorry I have not used it. As I am still using VSC 4.0

Are you using it to create backup and restore of virtual machines from a snapvault from a secondary and/or primary controller?

USMANBUTT

I'm just using it to backup/restore datastores/VMs from primary controller.

USMANBUTT

I have also noticed that when delays occur, usually one of the cores on my dfm server is usually pegged. I have tried increasing/decreasing the cores with no change.

Public