Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Operation Manager Snapshot Backup Configuration Questions

kofchur

A customer of ours wants to install Operations Manager 4.1 on a Windows 2008 VM.  I'm recommending that they go with snapshot based backups because their current backups are taking up to 4 hours, and this is only going to get worse because they are growing at a pretty fast rate.  With regards to the configuration of snapshot based backups, I have a few questions after reading KB articles, forums and other documentation:

1) What needs to be on a LUN?  All the documentation I have read unanimously says the database needs to be on a LUN, however, I have only read in one place (KB 3011237) that says both the database AND Performance Advisor data need to be in a LUN.  This makes sense to me, for how else will you be able to include PA data in a snapshot?

2) Assuming that both DFM database and PA data need to be on a Netapp LUN, this raises a second question:  Can they be on separate LUNs or do they need to be on the same LUN?  If they can be on separate LUNs, does Snapdrive then take consistency group snapshots?

3) The LUNs need to be RDM to the VM?  I believe thisis the case, for how else will Snapdrive function.  This fact is lacking in official documentation.

4) Are RDM LUNs in an OpsMgr/VM environment supported for Windows Snapdrive for snapshot backups?  I have only read in these forums that is was for UNIX.

Thanks!  Your comments would be much appreciated.  Please feel free to add more info that you think I have missed or need to know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap
1) What needs to be on a LUN?  All the documentation I have read unanimously says the database needs to be on a LUN, however, I have only read in one place (KB 3011237) that says both the database AND Performance Advisor data need to be in a LUN.  This makes sense to me, for how else will you be able to include PA data in a snapshot?

Yes, infact 3 things needs to be in a single LUN, db, and the script-plugin directory.

2) Assuming that both DFM database and PA data need to be on a Netapp LUN, this raises a second question:  Can they be on separate LUNs or do they need to be on the same LUN?  If they can be on separate LUNs, does Snapdrive then take consistency group snapshots?

No, its on a single LUN.

3) The LUNs need to be RDM to the VM?  I believe thisis the case, for how else will Snapdrive function.  This fact is lacking in official documentation.

It can also be a iscsi using software initiators, or even a RDM.

4) Are RDM LUNs in an OpsMgr/VM environment supported for Windows Snapdrive for snapshot backups?  I have only read in these forums that is was for UNIX.

I think so, if snapdrive supports that it should work in operations manger too.

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Public