Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Operations Manager 5.0 Service is temporarily unavailable. Please contact DataFabric Manager server administrator.

scottgelb

I am setting up a demo system with OnCommand 5.0... I had it working fine on another system and didn't do anything different...but possibly a difference in the Linux install.  The error below is what I get although the NMC works just fine and the old dfm page at http://dfmserver:8080/dfm/welcome works fine... when I go to the new OnCommand http://dfmserver:8080/start.html page it gives the login screen and authenticates then gives the error below.  Probably something simple since it worked fine on the last install but I find it odd the new gui won't work but the old one works fine with the same steps.  See info on dfm service status and webui not running below too.

A beer at the Insight conferences for the person who gives me the silly thing I missed  

Service is temporarily unavailable. Please contact DataFabric Manager server administrator.

==ERROR==

java.lang.Exception

==TIME==

2011-10-23 18:17:30,916

==MESSAGE==

Service is temporarily unavailable. Please contact DataFabric Manager server administrator.

==DETAILS==

No details are available.

==CORRECTIVE ACTION==

No suggested corrective action is available.

==LOCATION==

Location is not specified.

==BROWSER INFO==

App Name: Netscape

App Version: 5.0 (Windows; en-US)

App Codename: Mozilla

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.23) Gecko/20110920 Firefox/3.6.23

Platform: Win32

Cookie Enabled: true

----- Also, I noticed that the webui service is not running... so I started it.  It says it starts but is not started after running... I don't know if this is the issue but seems like it...although odd that the NMC and old DFM pages work just fine.

[root@localhost plugins]# dfm service list

sql: started

webui: not started

http: started

eventd: started

monitor: started

scheduler: started

server: started

watchdog: started

[root@localhost plugins]# dfm service start webui

Service: webui started.

[root@localhost plugins]# dfm service list

webui: not started

10 REPLIES 10

rdenyer001

Hi Scott,

I had this problem on a new Windows 2008 Server install of ONCommand after I had restored the DFM database from my old DFM server, which had had an inplace upgrade from DFM4.0 to OnCommand 5.

I resolved the problem by re-running the install on the new server. Not very high tech and id not discover the root cause - but its now fixed.

Regards,

Richard

scottgelb

This is a new install in Linux and it does this fresh with a new database. I overplayed the install and it still doesn't come up. I disabled the Linux firewall and SElinux to disabled / permissive and still webui won't start. It says it starts though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

VMUNOZ_NTT

I have the same problem but our service list show that all are started:

# dfm service list

webui: started

Anyone found the solution?

lafoucrier

Hello,

I observe the same issue, after importing database with "dfm datastore setup -n <directorypath>" and upgrading from DFM 4.0.1 on a win2k8 R2 64bit Entreprise edition server to Oncommand 5.0 64bit.

all DFM service are started and works well.

Anyone found the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Yannick

seno

Hi,

Don't know if you're still looking for an answer, but after working with NetApp support since October on this same issue (OC5 becoming unresponsive on Linux) we finally got my issue figured out.  It may be yours as well, and you may have already figured it out by now too!

What we found on OC5 running on RHEL5, DFM was using up semaphores to the point that the webui could no longer communicate with the database.  The databse was up and running, but untouchable from the webui or command line.  Running an "ipcs" command found a huuuge list of open semaphores owned by the DFM webui web server.  Once an "iprm" was done for each hung semaphore, DFM's webui became responsive again.  Command line functionality resumed and backup jobs scheduled through dfm (snapmirrors and snapshots) started working again.  Until, of course, all the semaphores were used up again.

The fix for my problem lay not in making any changes to DFM, but making a change to all the NetApp agents I have installed on various linux and windows hosts for OSSV, FSRM and SnapDrive monitoring purposes.  There is a field in the agent config that asks for DFM host, if you blank that entry, the agent stops pinging the DFM host every hour.  Apparently, this is bad, as every time the agent taps DFM with a "host notify", DFM allocates a semaphore but doesn't clean it up.  By making this entry on the Agent settings blank, the agent no longer sends the "host notify" message to DFM every hour.  DFM still knows the agent is there and uses it as needed, but the semaphore usage problem disappears.

Since this is a semaphore issue, it only affects linux and not windows.

Hope this helps!

nate_lewis

For me this was an issue with the Java that is installed with OC5. I think it is only 32bit. I renamed the java file in the default location /opt/NTAPdfm/java/bin/java to /opt/NTAPdfm/java/bin/java.tmp then created a soft link to the default java client installed with RHEL 6.2 64 bit.

mv /opt/NTAPdfm/java/bin/java /opt/NTAPdfm/java/bin/java.tmp

ln -s /usr/bin/java /opt/NTAPdfm/java/bin/java

dfm service start webui

then you may need to disable the firewall or allow port 8080

Laters

dcornely1

Whenever I've seen this error it's been this bug:

http://support.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=535904

adaikkap

If its this bug its, fixed starting 5.0.1 and is available in 5.0.2. Pls upgrade to 5.0.2 and let us know if you still face this issue. BTW 5.0. 2 is a GA candidate release with quite a few bug fixes.

Regards
adai

DEF__HEAD

Glad I found this post because I had the same issue but after starting the webui service it's now working again.

dfm service start webui

kartaip01

Had the same problem after linux update.

Reason was that webui.pid contained wrong (old) process number.
I stopped all dfm services (webui would not stop) and deleted the pid file.

After a restart all worked again.

Public