Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Operations Manager 5.0 for ONTAP 8.1 Cluster-Mode

mrinal

I have a customer who is using Operations Manager 5.0 and ONTAP 8.1 Cluster-Mode. The customer would like to know if they can get the following reports using OM.

1. The rate of change of data within a volume by looking at the difference in space utilised between two SnapShots
  2. The number of IOPS on a volume over a specified period of time. Expected to be 1 - 2 weeks.
6 REPLIES 6

kjag

Hi,

1. We report the rate of change of volume size due to snapshot space as well as daily snapshot growth rate of snapshots in a volume. But we dont have any report to view difference in space utilized between two snapshots.

volumes-snapshot-growth - Shows the growth rate of the space on a volume being used by snapshots

volumes-snapshot-capacity - Shows snapshot capacity in a volume.

volumes-first-snapshot -  Space utilized by taking the first snapshot for eachlisted volume

2. Performance reporting of Cluster Mode system is not supported OnCommand 5.0

-Kjag

mrinal

Thank you for the answer.

About point 2 --- Is there any report that will show me IOPS of a volume? I am not looking for Performance Advisor capabilities. Just need to know if there are any IOPS going to a particular set of volume.

kjag

None of the performance information will be collected for cluster mode in OnCommand 5.0(Including Perf Advior/ OnCommand reports).

The report volumes-performance-summary will give the IOPS of a volume, but only for 7-Mode.

For C-mode you will be getting the below info.

lnx# dfm report view volumes-performance-summary <ClusterName>

Could not invoke perf-get-counter-data ZAPI. Reason: This operation is not supported for clustered ONTAP object 'prasads-NB-12'.

There are no volumes.

mrinal

Last question... Will there be any improvement about being able to see IOPS for C-Mode volumes in OnCommand 5.1?

kjag

Yes. OnCommand 5.1 supports performance data collection for C-Mode(Perfomrnace Advisor too support C-mode).

-KJag

adaikkap

OnCommand 5.0 does this

1. The rate of change of data within a volume by looking at the difference in space utilised between two SnapShots

But it does it between the oldest snapshot and the latest Active File System data and not between all snapshots. This is available as volume overwrite rate in reports as point in time and in graphs as history.

dfm report view volumes-overwrite-rate.

[root@ ~]# dfm graph | grep -i over

volume-overwrite-rate     volume overwrite rate

[root@~]#

Regards

adai

Public