Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Operations Manager DB caching when delete a FlexVol

dgreg

Hi there,

I'm having an issue with a customer's OnCommand project as follows. We are using a provisioning policy to create a dataset in the NMC.  The FlexVol name is specified by a custom prefix as flexvol01. Once provisioned, the customer wants the option to be able to delete the FlexVol from the provisioning tab, which works fine. Next they want to re-provision the FlexVol with the same custom prefix flexvol01. This time around, the FlexVol name is flexvol01_1. This is even though the original FlexVol has definitely been delted from the storage controller and is not visible in Provisioning Manager or anywhere else. We tried this again, waiting two hours before re-creating the FlexVol in the dataset using Provisioning Manager. There must be some OM database caching here.  Is there any way to clear this cache? The customer needs this functionality in case an operations user makes a mistake, but wants to provision a FlexVol with the same name into a dataset again.

Best Regards,

Greg Davis

NetApp PSC, ASEAN

Cell: +65 96871596

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adaikkap

This is a known issue.Its because even though we deleted it from the filer, the dfm db which has it.

You can confirm this by the following cli.

dfm volume list -a | grep -i <volume name>

If you can remove this from the db you can reuse the same name.

Also there is bug for the same pls add your customer case to the same bug # 448480

Regards

adai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sinhaa

Hello Greg,

Custom naming format for volume creation are not supported till DFM 4.0.2D2. It could be available in future relaeses. You may like to look at the OnCommand 5.0 features video, I suppose its available on the community pages.

I'm not sure how if at all, you change this by altering the DB cash. A quick but dirty work around is if you want the same volume name to be created again after deleting the previous one, you can do that, but ONLY when you also change the resource (res-pool, or host and thereby aggr by manually selecting a resource). i.e. pick a new Res-pool or host and(or) aggr which wasn't the one selected for the previous volume's provisioning. This time the same name will be used for creating the volume upon the next provisioning.

This also means same volume names can be created on a dataset,  but every provisioning you pick a new host.

I hope this helps some bit.

warm regards,

Abhishek

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

sinhaa

Apparantly my solution wasn't very clear. I would like to elaborate with an example.

Respool RP1:

No. of filers = 10, f1....f10

Respool RP2

No. of filers =  5

ss1...ss5

If I have a dataset DS1, with both these respools attached.

I provisioned the first time, a volume was created with the name DS1 on lets say filer f1(RP1). If I see I made a mistake on this provisioning and decided to delete the volume DS1. Now if i provision (the 2nd time), and I also want the volume to be created with the name DS1, I need to manually select RP2 or a filer other than f1 on RP1. If all provisioning requirements are met, this will create a new volume with name DS1. I can go on doing this as long as for every provisioning I pick a new filer.

Also if for every provisioning request, i manually select a new filer, everytime a volume of the name DS1 will get created.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

dgreg

Hi Sinhaa,

Thank you for your reply. That is useful information to know. We want to be able to re-create the FlexVol on the same storage controller in this case. So as Adaikkappan discusses below, we are hitting a known BUG. I've now logged a case and am discussing with Support how to do a manual deletion of the 'deleted' FlexVol entry from the dfm database.

Best Regards,

Greg Davis

NetApp PSC, ASEAN

adaikkap

This is a known issue.Its because even though we deleted it from the filer, the dfm db which has it.

You can confirm this by the following cli.

dfm volume list -a | grep -i <volume name>

If you can remove this from the db you can reuse the same name.

Also there is bug for the same pls add your customer case to the same bug # 448480

Regards

adai

dgreg

Hi Adai,

Thank you for your reply. That's great, we saw all the 'deleted' FlexVols in the dfm database using the command you listed above. I've logged a case now and I'm discussing a workaround with the TSC. I will add my case ID to the BUG in due course.

Best Regards,

Greg Davis

NetApp PSC, ASEAN

Public