Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Performance Advisor 4.0 CLI User Guide (Export Help)

leroy

Hi,

My customer is in the middle of a full deployment of Operations Manager and have a requirement that I have not been able to find a solution for. They would like to use the data captured by Operations Manager and/or Performance Advisor to export weekly graphs for NFS Operations/sec and NFSv3 Latency.

The graph for NFS operations can be easily exported as an image using the 'dfm graph' command in the CLI.  However, I have not found a way to export a graph on counters not collected via Operations Manager.

So my questions comes in three different parts:

1) Is there a way to export graphs on counters not already graphed in Operations Manager (specifically NFSv3 Latency) over a one week period

2) Is there a way to export graphs in Performance Advisor, I would like to export the graph rather than the raw data

3) What export options are available in the Performance Advisor CLI (dfm perf) to export the raw data so I can run a post process in perl to provide the customer an end to end solution

As an additional question, with earlier versions of DFM there was a "Advanced Guide" that provided examples of the CLI functionality.  Does this exist with DFM 4.0?

Thank you in advance, and any comments would be appreciated!!

8 REPLIES 8

adaikkap
1) Is there a way to export graphs on counters not already graphed in Operations Manager (specifically NFSv3 Latency) over a one week period

Yes. Operation Manager support creation of reports that have performance fields whose data come from Perf Advisor.Below is the list of some canned reports that are availabe.

# dfm report list | grep -i perf
  storage-system-performance-summary performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of storage system
  storage-system-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of storage systems
  aggregates-performance-summary performance summary of aggregate
  volumes-performance-summary performance summary of volume
  volumes-NAS-performance-summary NAS performance summary of volume
  volumes-SAN-performance-summary SAN performance summary of volume
  qtrees-performance-summary performance summary of Qtree
  luns-performance-summary  performance summary of LUN
  disks-performance-summary performance summary  of Disks
  array-luns-performance-summary performance summary  of array LUNs
  events-perf               show current performance events
  events-history-perf       show all historic performance events
  vfiler-performance-summary performance summary of vFilers
#

And these can be viewed aggregated on day,week month etc.

To get a week view use the cli as below.

dfm report view -P 1w storage-system-performance-summary

The custom reports have catalogs specific to performance which can be viewed using the dfm report catalog list command.

dfm report catalog list -A volume will show all fields including performance.

dfm report catalog list -P volume will show only performance fields.

2) Is there a way to export graphs in Performance Advisor, I would like to export the graph rather than the raw data

Yes use the below cli to do the same.

dfm perf view retrieve [ -a <appliance-name-or-id> | -g <group-name-or-id> ] [ -o <perf-object> ] [ -i <perf-instance> ] <view-name> <starttime> <endtime>

3) What export options are available in the Performance Advisor CLI (dfm perf) to export the raw data so I can run a post process in perl to provide the customer an end to end solution

You can either use the below cli to export the data

dfm perf data export [ -s <start-time> ] [ -e <end-time> ][ -m <maximum-file-size> ]  [ <object>[ =<export-file-directory> ] ...]

Or take a look at the below TR which give details about exporting PA data.

Access to DataFabric Manager and Performance Advisor Data Using Database Access and Data Export

As an additional question, with earlier versions of DFM there was a "Advanced Guide" that provided examples of the CLI functionality.  Does this exist with DFM 4.0?

USe the man pages which give complete details about each cli and its options.

The man can be accessed from the web-ui of operations manager.

Contorl-Center->Help->General Help->Man Pages.

Regards

adai

leroy

Thank you for the reply.  The responses help put me in the right direction, but I would like some clarification on some of your points.

Yes. Operation Manager support creation of reports that have performance fields whose data come from Perf Advisor.Below is the list of some canned reports that are availabe.

I found the ability to export the canned graphs, but can operations manager (or performance advisor) export the graph image outside of the canned views.  The graphs can be saved as images via the NMC but the customer would like to export multiple graphs on a weekly basis via the command line.

dfm perf view retrieve [ -a <appliance-name-or-id> | -g <group-name-or-id> ] [ -o <perf-object> ] [ -i <perf-instance> ] <view-name> <starttime> <endtime>

Will this allow me to export the image file (similar to dfm graph) for data collected via Performance Advisor?

leroy

Just to be more specific, I would like the ability to export the graph for NFS operations and NFS latency.

The dfm graph command allows the ability to export the graph shown in operations manager, but it only provides what is available in the canned reports.  Is there a similar option for data collected via Performance Advisor?

adaikkap

leroy wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  The responses help put me in the right direction, but I would like some clarification on some of your points.

I found the ability to export the canned graphs, but can operations manager (or performance advisor) export the graph image outside of the canned views.  The graphs can be saved as images via the NMC but the customer would like to export multiple graphs on a weekly basis via the command line.?

There is no way in the cli to save a view/graph in NMC.

Will this allow me to export the image file (similar to dfm graph) for data collected via Performance Advisor?

No.This will help you retrive the data presented in the view but not as an image file

regards

adai

leroy

Thank you everyone for the guidance. I am familiar with certain dfm cli commands but the syntax is sometimes confusing on errors.

Is there a way to request verbose error messages through the cli with a failed command?

bipulm

There is no such option for displaying error in verbose mode.

Butt there is a option "-v" which is used to display the deatil information in cli. But this is not applicable to all cli.

Use always help command with the specifi cli, it displays whether "-v" is applicable for that cli or not.

In case of failure also check the "man dfm" command and see the details use of that command.

harish

1 & 2. You can save any chart in performance advisor as an image. If the

required counter is not collected by default, you can enable them and

modify the retention periods.

3. You can use "dfm perf data retrieve" CLI to export performance

information. The -x option might be of interest, if you are exporting

multiple counters simultaneously.

4. I am not aware of any such guides, at least for performance advisor CLIs.

Regards

Harish

Harish Kumar

Member Technical Staff

SMAI

Tel: +91-80-4184-3146

arndt

Also check out the dfm man pages for help using the dfm perf data retrieve CLI's.  In the DFM web interface, go to Help -> General Help -> Man pages and then search for the dfm perf data retrieve section.

If you want a script to convert the dfm perf data retrieve output ot a CSV, using the -x option that Harish mentioned, I have written this for my customer and it is attached.  The -x option is nice, but does not produce CSV format natively.

Public