2010-10-06 04:02 PM
How much database does Performance Advisor store? I am noticing it only goes back a year ( i tried MAX and CUSTOM to where I know there was data in Aug 2009 but it displays Oct 2009 and onward )
next question is, if it displays on a years worth, does it delete expired data from the perfdata directory? If it keeps it, can you delete old records to keep the PERFDATA directory capacity in control? If it keeps it can you cannot display it, is there a way to force it to display?
2010-10-06 07:36 PM
What version of Performance Advisor / Operations Manager are you using. If it's 4.0, then you can check out the information in NMC (please check out the screenshot)
- You also have the capability edit the following parameters for the displayed counter groups
- Sampling / polling interval
- Retention time
- Based on these inforation Performance Advisor can calculate the current and projected used space of perf. data on the DFM server.
Thanks and regards
2010-11-11 03:26 PM
Hey Shiva, all
I have a customer situation here; they are asking if they can delete the Perf Data in the /perfdata folder for OpsMan ... manually. They are running 3.8.X and I am hearing they just want to recover space ( and later upgrade to 4.0 ). They are running the database on a fast SAN which is good but I am advising they do not delete data manually because you could corrupt the PA data when viewed from the NMC ( and since I do not know the answer on manually deleting data i am taking no chances ).
so here goes...
1. can i delete data in 3.8.x manually without risk to PA and OM?
2. should i advise them to upgrade to DFM 4.0.x ( say D16 ) and then tune the retention period of how much data is stored ( and will DFM start deleting perf data that is now expired )?
2010-11-11 07:51 PM
Take a look at the following TR that gives information about:
1. How PA stores performance data.
2. Ways to reduce collection of performance data.
Note that this TR is specific to 3.8.
2010-11-15 08:57 AM
Hello .. this is a good article, i will read this in detail later but after skimming the doc there is one interesting question to ask.
our controllers are set for one year retention but we are seeing files in the perdata directory which are dated 2007; is it safe to remove these files?
2012-02-22 07:52 AM
I too am experiencing space issues and wish to remove old items from the PerfData folder. How easy is this to do? The size of this folder is concerning me especially considering it is filling up the LUN where it is currently located.
What is the command line that I need to perform in order for me to set a rolling/circular logging type PerfData collection?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
2012-02-22 10:17 AM
I would suggest you to upgrade to OnCommand 5.0 to take care of bug, listed below
Also below is the screen of how you could adjust the retention for rolling of the perfData.