Subscribe

Powershell SnapMirror

Hi, I have done a snapmirror between clusters, and feel fairly comfortable with the process, what i was wanting to know was how do i find out the status of a snapmirror in progress, how much data has been moved and how long the process has been running. I know via command line how to do it, but could anyone show me how to do it in powershell. 

we are currently on a fas8020 running 8.3.1. Any help most appreciated. 

Re: Powershell SnapMirror

Have you looked at the Get-NcSnapMirror cmdlet?  I believe that if you speciffy only one relationship it will return all of the attributes for that relationship.  I do not have a working lab to test that, but it should be quick to check.  The Get-NcSnapMirrorHistory may also have the information that you are looking for, but I am not sure if it will return it for a running update.

Hi Geringer, though the command is useful it doesnt provide the detail that i need. I can see how this command can be used to monitor mirror history of comms. I will definately be using this in the future in my toolkit.

I think something like this will work to return the amount of data transferred and time elapsed.  I don't have any active snapmirror relationships to test with, so I can't say for sure...

Get-NcSnapmirror -Query @{ RelationshipStatus = "transferring" } | Select-Object SourceLocation,DestinationLocation, `
    @{'N'='GB Transferred'; 'E'={ [Math]::Round($snapmirror.TotalTransferBytes / 1gb, 2) } }, `
    @{'N'='Min Elapsed'; 'E'={ [Math]::Round((New-TimeSpan -Seconds $snapmirror.TotalTransferTimeSecs).Minutes, 2) } }

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

Hi, Thanks for shwoing me this, it seems as if this could be it. I will set up some data to transfer and then gt back to you with some results. Many thanks again. 

Hi, Just set another snapmirror to go now, and i can see the results via ssh. 

Using the command above, in " GB Transferred Min Elapsed" i just aget a 0 all the way down. There are names in "SourceLocation" and  "DestinationLocation" but nothing in the last column, also the snapmirror that i have set of cannot be seen anywhere in this command. 

Not sure what more to add really :-(

There are quite some powershell commands for snapmirror written in WFA.

Try to use these commands by changing a little.

I have copied some of the powershell commands below.

1.Remove SnapMirror

param (
[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Cluster")]
[string]$SourceCluster,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Cluster")]
[string]$DestinationCluster,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Storage Virtual Machine")]
[string]$SourceVserver,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Storage Virtual Machine")]
[string]$DestinationVserver,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Volume")]
[string]$SourceVolume,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Volume")]
[string]$DestinationVolume,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Cluster IP Address")]
[string]$DestinationClusterIP
)

# connect to controller
Connect-WfaCluster $DestinationClusterIP

$vsm = Get-NcSnapmirror -SourceCluster $SourceCluster -DestinationCluster $DestinationCluster -SourceVserver $SourceVserver -DestinationVserver $DestinationVserver -SourceVolume $SourceVolume -DestinationVolume $DestinationVolume -ErrorAction Stop

if($vsm -and $vsm.Status -eq "transferring")
{
throw "Cannot remove relationship as it is currently transferring."
}

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Removing SnapMirror relationship between " + $SourceCluster + ":"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + "and" + $DestinationCluster + ":"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume )
Remove-NcSnapmirror -SourceCluster $SourceCluster -DestinationCluster $DestinationCluster -SourceVserver $SourceVserver -DestinationVserver $DestinationVserver -SourceVolume $SourceVolume -DestinationVolume $DestinationVolume -Confirm:$false -ErrorAction Stop

=====

2. Wait for SnapMirror initialization or resync

param (
[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Cluster")]
[string]$SourceCluster,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Cluster")]
[string]$DestinationCluster,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Storage Virtual Machine")]
[string]$SourceVserver,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Storage Virtual Machine")]
[string]$DestinationVserver,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Source Volume")]
[string]$SourceVolume,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Destination Volume")]
[string]$DestinationVolume,

[parameter(Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Cluster IP")]
[string]$ClusterIP,

[parameter(Mandatory=$false, HelpMessage="Approximate transfer size in MB. Used to calculate the percentage progress for SnapMirror relationships on Clustered ONTAP 8.2 or later.")]
[long]$TransferSize
)

function Wait-For-Initialization-V1
{
# Use query template so ONTAP will not have to return all the jobs, but only the relevant ones (unfortunately its not currently possible to filter by matching JobDescription)
$query = Get-NcJob -Template
$query.JobType = "Transfer-Initialize"

# Get the latest job which initializes the vsm relationship
$job = Get-NcJob -Query $query | where {$_.JobDescription -eq "snapmirror initialize of destination " + $DestinationCluster + "://" + $DestinationVserver + "/" + $DestinationVolume } | Sort-Object -Descending -Property JobId | Select-Object -First 1

if(!$job)
{
# No job was found, it could be that the job was purged or that no job was created
# because the vsm relationship is already in 'snapmirrored' state.
# Checking that the vsm relationship is in 'snapmirrored' state
$vsm = Get-NcSnapmirror -SourceCluster $SourceCluster -DestinationCluster $DestinationCluster -SourceVserver $SourceVserver -DestinationVserver $DestinationVserver -SourceVolume $SourceVolume -DestinationVolume $DestinationVolume -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

if(!$vsm)
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Cannot find the SnapMirror relationship. Failing the command.")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note "Cannot find the SnapMirror relationship"
throw "Failed to initialize SnapMirror relationship between " + $SourceCluster + "://"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + " and " + $DestinationCluster + "://"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume
}
else
{
if($vsm.MirrorState -ne "snapmirrored")
{

# Job is not found and relationship is not in 'snapmirrored' state..
# verify that the paramters passed to this command are matching the parameters
# supplied to the Create VSM command. if yes, then the initialization failed.
# if not, it means this command was executed with wrong parameter values and
# should be executed with the correct ones.

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization job was not found and relationship is not in 'snapmirrored' state.")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note "SnapMirror initialization job was not found and relationship is not in 'snapmirrored' state."
throw "Failed to initialize SnapMirror relationship between " + $SourceCluster + "://"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + " and " + $DestinationCluster + "://"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume
}
else
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror relationship is already initialized.")
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization completed successfully.")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 1 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note "SnapMirror initialization completed successfully."
}
}

}
else
{
if($job.JobState -eq "success")
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization completed successfully.")

# Volume move already completed - mark it 100% completed
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 1 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $job.JobProgress
}
elseif($job.JobState -eq "running")
{
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 0 -Note $job.JobProgress
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Initialization job stauts - " + $job.JobProgress)
}
elseif($job.JobState -eq "failure" -and $job.JobCompletion.Contains("already initialized"))
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror relationship is already initialized.")
# Volume move already completed - mark it 100% completed
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 1 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $job.JobProgress
}
else
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization failed.")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $job.JobProgress
}
}
}

# Wait for either SnapMirror initialize or resync to complete.
function Wait-For-Initialization-V2($relationship)
{
if ($relationship.IsHealthy -eq "true") {
if($relationship.MirrorState -eq "snapmirrored" -and $relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'idle' )
{
$bytesTransferredMessage = "Transferred " + $relationship.LastTransferSize + " bytes."
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization or resync completed successfully. $bytesTransferredMessage")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 1 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $bytesTransferredMessage
}
elseif (($relationship.MirrorState -eq 'uninitialized' -or $relationship.MirrorState -eq 'snapmirrored') -and
( $relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'transferring' -or
$relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'quiescing' -or
$relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'queued' -or
$relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'preparing' -or
$relationship.RelationshipStatus -eq 'finalizing'
))
{
$percentComplete = if ($TransferSize -and $relationship.RelationshipProgress -and $TransferSize -ne 0) {($relationship.RelationshipProgress*100)/($TransferSize*1024*1024)} else {0}
#
# Used size is only an approximation and sometimes we may have stale
# used size. So guard against the percentage going above 100.
#
if ($percentComplete -gt 99) {
$percentComplete = 99
}
$progressMessage = "Transferred " + $relationship.RelationshipProgress + " bytes so far."
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization or resync in progress. $progressMessage")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage $percentComplete -Note $progressMessage
}
else {
$relationshipStateMessage = "Relationship state is '" + $relationship.MirrorState + "' (" + $relationship.RelationshipStatus + "). " + $relationship.LastTransferError
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("SnapMirror initialization or resync failed. $relationshipStateMessage")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $relationshipStateMessage
throw "Failed to initialize or resync SnapMirror relationship between " + $SourceCluster + "://"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + " and " + $DestinationCluster + "://"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume + ". " + $relationshipStateMessage
}
}
else {
$ErrorMessage = "SnapMirror is not healthy"
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("$ErrorMessage")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note $ErrorMessage
throw "Failed to initialize or resync SnapMirror relationship between " + $SourceCluster + "://"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + " and " + $DestinationCluster + "://"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume + ". " + $ErrorMessage
}

}

Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Handling SnapMirror initialization or resync for relationship between " + $SourceCluster + "://"+ $SourceVserver + "/"+ $SourceVolume + " and " + $DestinationCluster + "://"+ $DestinationVserver + "/"+ $DestinationVolume )

# connect to controller
Connect-WfaCluster $ClusterIP

# Retrieve the relationship to check if it is 8.1-style or 8.2-style
# relationship. This is indicated by the relationship control plane.
# For 8.1-style relationships (control plane V1), there is a job in ONTAP
# whose status we can check. For 8.2-style relationship (control plane V2),
# there is no job. We just wait for the relationship state to
# become 'snapmirrored'.
#

# Temporary workaround to handle an issue in snapmirror-get-iter API for SnapMirror relationships of infinite volume.
# Instead of sending all keys of a SnapMirror relationship (destination-cluster, destination-vserver, destination-volume, source-cluster, source-vserver, source-volume),
# one of the keys destination-volume will not be sent

$TargetVolume = Get-NcVol -Vserver $DestinationVserver -Name $DestinationVolume

if (!$TargetVolume)
{
throw "There is no destination volume with name " + $TargetVolume
}

if($TargetVolume.IsInfiniteVolume)
{
$relationship = Get-NcSnapmirror -SourceCluster $SourceCluster -DestinationCluster $DestinationCluster -SourceVserver $SourceVserver -DestinationVserver $DestinationVserver -SourceVolume $SourceVolume -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}
else
{
$relationship = Get-NcSnapmirror -SourceCluster $SourceCluster -DestinationCluster $DestinationCluster -SourceVserver $SourceVserver -DestinationVserver $DestinationVserver -SourceVolume $SourceVolume -DestinationVolume $DestinationVolume -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
}

if(!$relationship)
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Cannot find the SnapMirror relationship. Failing the command.")
Set-WfaCommandProgress -Total 1 -Current 0 -ProgressPercentage 100 -Note "Failure"
}
else
{
#
# 8.1 cluster does not have RelationshipControlPlane field.
# If 8.1 cluster is upgraded to 8.2, RelationshipControlPlane for an
# existing relationships is V1 until the relationship is upgraded to
# SN-style relationship.
#
if(!$relationship.RelationshipControlPlane -or
$relationship.RelationshipControlPlane -eq "v1")
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Detected 8.1-style relationship. Relationship control plane: " + $relationship.RelationshipControlPlane)
Wait-For-Initialization-V1
}
else
{
Get-WFALogger -Info -message $("Detected 8.2-style relationship. Relationship control plane: " + $relationship.RelationshipControlPlane)
Wait-For-Initialization-V2 -relationship $relationship
}
}

You may want to look into the featured post for snapmirror auditlog parser:

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Cloud-and-Virtualization-Discussions/PowerShell-SnapMirror-Audit-Log-Parser-for-CDOT/m-p/130304#M5358

It does a lot more than what you posted, but you can either take from that script what you need, or you'll find that it is even better than what you wanted Smiley Happy.

/Xander