Active IQ Unified Manager Discussions

Protection Manager >> protection across specific vlan

sswain123

Hi Guys,

I come to the community with yet another question.... I have a dedicated backup link to use for my offsite backups using Protection Manager. The source filers has been configured with 2 vlans, one for production and the other for the backup network… I would like to specify to ProtMgr to go over the bkp vlan.

When manually setting this up its easy, modify /etc/hosts and use the required values, then kick off the mirror.. example: ‘snapmirror initialize –S srcfiler_bkp:/vol/qtree dstfiler_bkp’.  Now that this is supposed to be automated and taken care of by ProtMgr, how do I specify?  I’m already modify /etc/hosts to include the values I would like to specify, I just don’t know where to go to do this. I initially thought I could use the ‘ndmpd.preferred_interface’ options but, I only have 1 vif so, it’s a no go.

If anyone could shed a little light on this, I’d be most grateful!

Thanks,
Scott

6 REPLIES 6

adaikkap

Hi Scott,

For snapmirror relationships you need to specify the preferred interface as follows.

Dfm host set src_filer hostPreferredAddr1 = bkp_vlan ip addr of the source filer.

Similary on the destination filer too.

Dfm host set dst_filer hostPreferredAddr1 = bkp_vlan ip addr of the dst filer

Regards

adai

sswain123

Thanks Adai.  You mentioend SM above, this still applies to SV being that it's QSM under the covers?

adaikkap

Hi Scott,

For QSM and VSM the option I specified is use to create connections and separate the traffic. For SnapVault the option.ndpmd.preferred_interface on the controller is used.

Regards

adai

sswain123

what if you only have 1 vif?  i have 2 x10g in a single mode vif.... i need to have the traffic come out the backup vlan so i can QoS is traffic. is this possible?

mmodi

Hi Adai,

Does dfm require network connectivity to the controllers (using NDMP) via that hostPreferredAddr1 ?

OR

Is the assumption that dfm only communicates to the controllers via management interface "hostPrimaryAddress"  (using NDMP) ?

- While controllers VSM using replication network connection specified using hostPreferredAddr1?

Thanks

Modi

adaikkap

Hi Modi,

DFM use the hostprimaryaddress for snmp and API based monitoring. Where as when doing the VSM update it would initiate the appropriate commands with the hostpreferredAddr1&2.

Per say dfm does not need connectivity to the hostpreferredAddr1&2, but your storage controllers( src and dst need to be able to communicate using the hostpreferredAddr1&2. set in dfm.)

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

adai

Public