Subscribe

Question with Regard to Operations Manager reporting that an Aggregate is over de-duplicated

I have a customer receiving the following message from Operations Manager:

Deduplication : Aggregate is nearly over deduplicated

Source

javascript:filer_view_open_win('https://kstlneapp02.corp.chartercom.com:443/api?api=/util/true&onsuccess=fv&jumpTo=netapp.fv.volumes.manage.Aggr... kstlneapp02:aggr1_FC

Severity

Warning

About

Overdeduplication level of the aggregate

Condition

Over deduplication percentage ( 140.03% ) of the aggregate exceeds the nearly over deduplicated threshold ( 140.00% ). Increase the threshold or add disks to the aggregate.

Triggered

05 Oct 03:41

Notified

Acknowledged

No

Deleted

No

Can anyone tell me what this means and what action is supposed to be taken?

Thanks,

Phil Monte

Re: Question with Regard to Operations Manager reporting that an Aggregate is over de-duplicated

As far as I understand it, this is a harmless warning and it means that should you ever decide to un-deduplicate all data, there will not be enough storage to do that.

Don't know why anybody would ever consider to un-deduplicate their data, so simply ignore the message or reconfigure dfm to set this threshold to 200% or higher.

Re: Question with Regard to Operations Manager reporting that an Aggregate is over de-duplicated

Or use the dfm eventtype modify to modify the severity of the event.

Regards

adai

Hi,

The main reason why we have to keep tab over deduplication rate (deduplication threshold) is when you undedupe a volume, we need to ensure that the volume doesn't runout of capacity.

Thanks and regards

Shiva Raja

I usually joke about this with customers....basically just means that "dedup is working really well".